StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I especially like the $10 surcharge for a bike that is XYZ years old. What does this $10 magically do other than provide another way for the dealership to gouge the customer? I mean if the bike is old, and the fasteners are corroded and break while the dealer is wrenching on them the owner of the bike is still going to pay for how many hours it takes to fix what broke.

·
Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
58 Posts
I especially like the $10 surcharge for a bike that is XYZ years old. What does this $10 magically do other than provide another way for the dealership to gouge the customer? I mean if the bike is old, and the fasteners are corroded and break while the dealer is wrenching on them the owner of the bike is still going to pay for how many hours it takes to fix what broke.
Could be to supplement the time lost trying to find parts on older machines?

Reactions: STCorndog

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Depends. The shop I trust charges $120/hr. However, regional conditions are going to vary. For work that I can't do myself, I pick a competent shop that I trust, and pay whatever they're asking. If I don't trust the shop, I don't care how cheap they are.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
To be fair there.
Officially mechanics do get trained on what to do with current machines, and machines they don't know may take a little longer. (I'm not saying that actually happens note, just that it's part of being a dealer that SHOULD be happening)

Charging that for something like a tire change or chain and sprockets does seem like gouging anyway. Fair enough for say a valve adjust where it's all new, you may be dealing with brittle plastics, corroded fasteners. What I actually believe is someone got away with that, then everyone followed because mo $ ;)

·
Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
58 Posts
If the owner is paying by the hour what is there to recoup?
Shop could be going by book time. It takes this long to do the job. Everyone should be asking for a quote, what are the extra charges? Aka shop supplies. What’s needed for the job?

I’m not saying there isn’t some shady people out there but you gotta ask questions when your getting the work done.

·
Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
58 Posts
$150/hr isn't enough to click on stuff on the interweb?
Manufacturers are only required to make parts for 10 yrs after building a machine. How much fun is it to track down after the oem quits supporting it because it never sold as a part.

It can get very frustrating the older the machine to try and find parts or make something work.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Manufacturers are only required to make parts for 10 yrs after building a machine. How much fun is it to track down after the oem quits supporting it because it never sold as a part.

It can get very frustrating the older the machine to try and find parts or make something work.
In this case there were no parts to hunt down, they were supplied. The job should take an hour tops.

I agree with POTENTIAL problems but if you are charging an hourly rate you've covered that.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts

If you are being paid by the hour, what does it matter sitting behind a wrench or a computer screen searching for parts you are getting paid your hourly rate.

While true manufacturers are required to manufacture/maintain parts for a certain amount of time after production, what happens if they run out or do not. Do they get thrown into parts jail? Or does the customer get a free bike because theirs cannot be fixed? Does adding a $10 surcharge give dealers access to magical parts achieve?

Just trying to figure why a $10 surcharge makes a difference.

P-14

·
Premium Member
2016 650 V-Strom
94 Posts
My local dealers, Manhattan Motorcycles of Sheffield charge £50 / $60.37 an hour for labour. They do a fantastic job, I’ve been using them for 20 years ....

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
$150/hr isn't enough to click on stuff on the interweb?
I think he means where the part is or is not physically on the bike..." Oh. I spent an hour takin' apart the tank, and there ain't no fuel pump?? Hope I can get all these tank guts back in..."

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
As stated, OP is in northern Virginia. A different world. Very different.

Stories, like this, are a big part of the reason I sold my 2012 Wee, with ABS issues, possible other electrical issues, ~50K miles, etc.,for $1,000. Thought it best to just cut my losses, and start over. And, I have plenty of work spaces, and time, but not deep electrical knowledge.

Reactions: skyguy

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
My local dealers, Manhattan Motorcycles of Sheffield charge £50 / $60.37 an hour for labour. They do a fantastic job, I’ve been using them for 20 years ....
Almost makes it worth it to ship the bike over there for work!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts