StromTrooper banner

Shop labor costs in your market?

4539 Views 64 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  OnTwo
Hi! Long-time member, but been awhile since I posted anything.

I just got the chain and sprockets replaced on my 2009 DL-650A at my local dealer.
I'd already purchased the Suzuki OEM "Drive Chain Kit" so the only expense was labor (and some cheap "shop supplies").

Any guesses how much it cost?

I'll save you the suspense: it was $475.

I know labor costs have gone up, but not too long ago I remember the rates at this shop (in Falls Church, VA, USA) were around $55/hr.
For this job, the labor rate was $160/hr, which included a $10/hr surcharge for "bikes over 10 years old."

What's an average cost/hr. for shop labor in your market? Has anyone noticed the rates TRIPLING in their area?

And before all the comments come to derail this thread – No, I couldn't do it myself; I live in a condo and have neither the place nor the tools to do this job.
There's an independent shop that's a bit of a drive and I could've had the work done there, but they're all booked up so I figured I'd just go to the Suzuki dealer who's close by. I mean, how much could it possibly cost?

Now I know.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
604 Posts
same areai-sh as @theayn, so about $110/hr but what I found even more interesting is that the price goes up dependant on brand. Triumph by the hour is $10 - $20 more and the MV Agusta service was another $10/ hour on top of that.

all prices in CAD

· Registered
604 Posts
there's at least one missing from that list that was on the wall at a local bent bikes shop in the 80's.

If you already tried to "fix" it $300 / hr

pretty much all I have the shop do is tire swaps, they charge me $40 if I buy the tire from them or $75 if I don't. I get a discount on the tire anyway, so I just buy it from them. I have no problem supporting a dealership that treats me fairly, they gotta eat too and i want them to still be there when I'm ready for a new bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts