StromTrooper banner

Shop labor costs in your market?

1343 56
Hi! Long-time member, but been awhile since I posted anything.

I just got the chain and sprockets replaced on my 2009 DL-650A at my local dealer.
I'd already purchased the Suzuki OEM "Drive Chain Kit" so the only expense was labor (and some cheap "shop supplies").

Any guesses how much it cost?

I'll save you the suspense: it was $475.

I know labor costs have gone up, but not too long ago I remember the rates at this shop (in Falls Church, VA, USA) were around $55/hr.
For this job, the labor rate was $160/hr, which included a $10/hr surcharge for "bikes over 10 years old."

What's an average cost/hr. for shop labor in your market? Has anyone noticed the rates TRIPLING in their area?

And before all the comments come to derail this thread – No, I couldn't do it myself; I live in a condo and have neither the place nor the tools to do this job.
There's an independent shop that's a bit of a drive and I could've had the work done there, but they're all booked up so I figured I'd just go to the Suzuki dealer who's close by. I mean, how much could it possibly cost?

Now I know.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Seems pretty high. The shop I use most (Pro6Cycle in Etobicoke Ontario) has their labour rate listed as $118/hour on their website. Had to look it up because I only use them for what I can't do myself so it's been over a year since I went in. At today's exchange rate that's about $89USD.

·
Registered
569 Posts
same areai-sh as @theayn, so about $110/hr but what I found even more interesting is that the price goes up dependant on brand. Triumph by the hour is $10 - $20 more and the MV Agusta service was another $10/ hour on top of that.

all prices in CAD

·
Registered
879 Posts
About $120 per hour but I have found an independent that is $60 per hour for easy jobs (straight cash, no "shop supplies fees etc.)

An independent Harley shop I use is $80 per hour.

I would have installed that chain and sprockets myself to save almost $500.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Oddly, that job takes me 30 minutes to an hour on a good day and I don't have a lift.

Most of the time is changing the rear sprocket, followed by some cursing when reassembling the rear wheel. (Cut the chain off, don't break it)
I'll concede I have screwed up now and then and it's dragged on for two weeks :), but the screwups were due to it being years since I last did the job and the delays were waiting for new master links. Neither are problems a real mechanic should have.

Confident that were I doing that often I'd be hitting 30 minutes/zero errors reliably.

Being ripped off like that are why I now do those jobs myself.

It does sometimes cost me some downtime waiting for parts and I occasionally screw up :) but delays are an issue with shops now, they don't keep common items in stock and order on demand, that appears save THEM a little money but it goes pear shaped spectacularly now and then.

All in all I'm well ahead, even allowing for the occasional redo. I'm not dissing you for using a shop but ask around and see if there's an independent somewhere who's less expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
No idea. Buy tools, learn how to do stuff. Not paying others to do simple tasks is the easiest way to increase your standard of living.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If the kit contained an endless chain, you should be looking at about 2 hours work to replace chain and sprockets, including removal and reinstallation of the swingarm.

Reactions: Motor7

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
why not just cut the factory chain?

sure removing the swingarm will allow you to grease it good but......
OP stated he lives in a condo and has no work space.

Reactions: skyguy

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

I just got the chain and sprockets replaced on my 2009 DL-650A at my local dealer.
I'd already purchased the Suzuki OEM "Drive Chain Kit" so the only expense was labor (and some cheap "shop supplies").

I know labor costs have gone up, but not too long ago I remember the rates at this shop (in Falls Church, VA, USA) were around $55/hr.
For this job, the labor rate was $160/hr, which included a $10/hr surcharge for "bikes over 10 years old."

What's an average cost/hr. for shop labor in your market? Has anyone noticed the rates TRIPLING in their area?

And before all the comments come to derail this thread – No, I couldn't do it myself; I live in a condo and have neither the place nor the tools to do this job.
There's an independent shop that's a bit of a drive and I could've had the work done there, but they're all booked up so I figured I'd just go to the Suzuki dealer who's close by. I mean, how much could it possibly cost?

Now I know.
$170/hr is reasonable these days, unfortunately. Franchise auto dealer shops in the Mpls/St Paul metro are around $200/hr or higher. My local dealer billed me at $186/hr for new shocks & struts on my SUV.
Did you buy the chain and sprockets from this same dealer? If not many shops won't do the work at all.

Reminds me of a sign I once saw in a car repair shop, 40 years ago. I've updated for inflation:
Font Circle Terrestrial plant Number Darkness

Reactions: Gert and D.T.

·
Registered
569 Posts
there's at least one missing from that list that was on the wall at a local bent bikes shop in the 80's.

If you already tried to "fix" it $300 / hr

pretty much all I have the shop do is tire swaps, they charge me $40 if I buy the tire from them or $75 if I don't. I get a discount on the tire anyway, so I just buy it from them. I have no problem supporting a dealership that treats me fairly, they gotta eat too and i want them to still be there when I'm ready for a new bike.

·
Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
54 Posts
Got a buddy that owns a shop an hr and half away from me. I’m not sure what his labor rate is. He gives me a smoking deal on anything I need.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I do all my own work.

Reactions: STCorndog

·
Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
98 Posts

Now I know.
Local Oregon dirt bike shop charged me $240 to mount new tires! I guess I should have asked but I was expecting maybe $100. They lost a customer for good.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts