StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was brousing some for sale sites and sow a few older vstroms '05, '06,'07 's.. (one was a 2019) for reasonable $$ between 3-6k and 9k for the 2019. So I says to myself, Self what would the costs of common repairs and maintenance be like ?? I know prices vary depending what you got,who you know , and such . but what would you say the average cost of a vakve check would be , how about a new stator .. or what other common repairs or maitenance would you include ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought my 07 wee in September 2018 with just over 30,000km on it. Previous owner had done the valve check (I have the receipt). In the 40,000km since then I've:

• flushed and replaced brake fluid once (shop)
  • replaced all the brake pads once (home)
  • replaced chain and sprockets once (home)
  • replaced the front tire once (shop)
  • replaced the rear tire 4 times (two I changed early, one because I had a trip coming up, one because I wanted to change tire type) (shop)
  • did all the regular oil and filter changes (home)
  • cleaned the starter switch 3 times (home, because I still haven't installed the Eastern Beaver relay to fix that problem)
  • adjusted the chain tension a few times (home, too often at first, then I got information from this site on what I should really be doing)
I'm not overly mechanically inclined, but I've found between the Haynes/Clymer shop manual I bought and this site, there's lots of information available that allows me to decide what I'm willing to tackle myself and what I'm going to pay someone for.

There are some well documented issues (stator as you've mentioned is one of them), but the bike has been rock solid reliable. My own experience has been that you don't need to prepare for anything more than routine maintenance. I'm not going to comment on the cost of that, since that would vary wildly between the shops I use in Toronto, Canada, and whatever shop you're going to use in New Hampshire.

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
Why not a 2014-18 1000, that way you can just worry about how often you just want to ride it? ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oldjeep.. you make a valid point.. its not that I am unwilling to do the work its more about my 3rd floor apartment living situation.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
it will be under a bike cover in the summer and under a roof in winter
If you do that then make sure to unplug every single connector and pack it full of dielectric grease. The wiring and plugs on these bikes (and most bikes) are not waterproof or condensation proof. Even under a cover you are getting condensation in every little electrical thing. That will avoid the threads you always see here about connectors melting because the contacts are corroded. Always amazes me that my truck has weatherproof connectors, but the exposed wiring on my bikes does not.

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
big b .. meaning they are always broken? or that they are reliable?
The 14-current 1000's are not the same ole beasts the first generation were, so yes they are overall MUCH more reliable and hassle free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts