StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cornering at around 30mph and my shoelace got sucked into the small opening near the front sprocket. Yanked my foot in broke the lace and almost sent me into the ditch.
Had to take the cover off and dig out the laces that got ripped off.
Lesson learned keep laces tight and tucked away.
P.S. These were just normal lenght laces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From my experience...

Lesson is - no laces on a moto. They also get caught on pegs, etc.
Yep... got a shoelace stuck on my footpeg when coming to a stop and couldn't get my foot to the ground...bike and me both ended up on the ground. Fortunately my leg did not get crushed under the bike.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
There a lot to be said about shower shoes as safety gear. No laces.
Were you wearing the baseball cap backwards as well to complete the ensemble?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I wear laced boots.

I wear long socks.

I pull the socks above the top of the boot and down over ther laces.

Looks dorky with a Speedo, but it's safe and effective.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used to have the issue of my laces getting caught on the pegs or a bolt by there and not being able to put my foot down. Luckily, I never fell over, but I have since started double knotting my laces, then I tuck the loops in under the second cris-cross up from the toes. This keeps the loops tucked away and they have never been a problem since.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't wear a speedo, but I do wear bright white compression shorts on long rides. If it's hot, I wear just the compression shorts under my Scorpion riding pants. After a few hours I kinda forget about my ensemble, and then wonder why I get odd looks when I stop and take off the pants to install/remove the rain liner.

Uh, what was the thread topic again?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I prefer laced boots for the inherent custom fit. I shorten my laces so that there is not much excess hanging down. I also ride with protective pants that cover the laces and do not ride up even if snagged while lowering my foot. So there is no way that my laces can ever get snagged.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
WHoooly sh#t.

I've worn laced shoes for years and never had that problem, thank god.

I do have some Astars boots that I wear also.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Glad you made it out ok. Nothing beats a thread on old men wearing shower shoes and speedos to complete the look.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My boot laces are long enough that I double-knot them and tuck them inside the boot but to the *outside* side of each leg - nothing fancy: something I learned during a short stint in the military.

No issues ...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free so there will be grammatical, syntax, and spelling errors.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wear one laced boot on the right side and barefooted on the left. I also wear jeans cutoff so short that the front pockets hang out. Is it safe? I don't know or care. It's just the way I roll. Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Yep... got a shoelace stuck on my footpeg when coming to a stop and couldn't get my foot to the ground...bike and me both ended up on the ground. Fortunately my leg did not get crushed under the bike.
I got my ATGATT riding overpants' leg hem caught on my footpeg, while coming to a stop - almost did the same topple over!

Even proper riding safety gear can rear up and bite ya!

·
Super Moderator
16,873 Posts
My boot laces are long enough that I double-knot them and tuck them inside the boot but to the *outside* side of each leg - nothing fancy: something I learned during a short stint in the military.

No issues ...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free so there will be grammatical, syntax, and spelling errors.
This is the way to do it if choosing to wear boots with laces.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Jeez!

I was cornering at around 30mph and my shoelace got sucked into the small opening near the front sprocket. Yanked my foot in broke the lace and almost sent me into the ditch.
Had to take the cover off and dig out the laces that got ripped off.
Lesson learned keep laces tight and tucked away.
P.S. These were just normal lenght laces.
No laces. Motorcycle boots. Get it together or suffer the consequences.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I learned a few years ago that I didn't know how to tie my shoes. .

Seriously - I'd been using the "Granny knot" most of my life without knowing any better, and my shoes would routinely come untied. The correct knot is a wonderful thing. There are also bunches of alternate knots, some probably more useful for moto footwear.

OT: how sensitive are people getting that a thread about shoelaces turns into a religious rant? There's an OT forum a few flights down.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I learned a few years ago that I didn't know how to tie my shoes. .

Seriously - I'd been using the "Granny knot" most of my life without knowing any better, and my shoes would routinely come untied. The correct knot is a wonderful thing. There are also bunches of alternate knots, some probably more useful for moto footwear.

OT: how sensitive are people getting that a thread about shoelaces turns into a religious rant? There's an OT forum a few flights down.
Me too! I felt pretty silly learning how to tie my shoes a different way, but I no longer need to double-knot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.