StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone got one yet? They look great, but do they fit like the old RF-1000? If you have one, or get one, let us all know what you think.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
They are $45 less at Helmet City, at least for the wine color.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They are $45 less at Helmet City, at least for the wine color.
Are you looking at the RF-1000 or RF-1100. The price for a Wine RF-1100 at Helmet City is $377.99 and $324.99 at Com Acc. Both have free shipping. If you are looking for a closeout on the RF-1000 there are deals all over the place. I have not shopped them all, because, well I'm looking for the 1100.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Firstly, I'm no expert on helmets and sorry if I'm missing something (or highjacking the thread), but why do some people pay so much money for these type of helmets and whats wrong with the cheaper ones?

I got one of those seven zero seven helmets from cycle gear. It is both DOT and Snell certified, so it's clearly a strong helmet. It is my understanding that Snell approved is stronger than DOT in the sense that it is designed to withstand multiple impacts in one area where as DOT to withstand just one.

Anyway, I got mine on sale for $69.99 (MSRP was like $130), and it has the removal pads, visor, chin strap, etc. Mostly all the same stuff the more expensive Shoei or Arai helmets do. It is just slightly better ventilation and noise reduction you pay for? Do you think it just looks better?

I wear ear plugs while riding, and if an aftermarket shield takes care of the buffetting, why pay so much more?

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is my understanding that Snell approved is stronger than DOT in the sense that it is designed to withstand multiple impacts in one area where as DOT to withstand just one.
While both test are conducted with multiple impacts, it is still recommended that your helmet be inspected or replaced after it has absorbed an impact.

FIFA STAR said:
It is just slightly better ventilation and noise reduction you pay for? Do you think it just looks better?
Two helmets that are rated the same and are hundreds of dollars apart in cost will both offer you similar protection in a crash. What you are paying the extra money for is comfort, features, appearance, etc. It is really personal preference. My current helmet is Shoei RF1000. For me, it is very comfortable and quiet. It also has the best ventilation of any helmet that I have owned. I can feel a breeze blow through the vents when I am standing in the parking lot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is coming, $309 delivered. I have an RF1000, So I can do a direct comparison. I mainly got it because my wife and I have the same size head. Since I found this deal, I knew i would be getting a quality lid.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Firstly, I'm no expert on helmets and sorry if I'm missing something (or highjacking the thread), but why do some people pay so much money for these type of helmets and whats wrong with the cheaper ones?

I got one of those seven zero seven helmets from cycle gear. It is both DOT and Snell certified, so it's clearly a strong helmet. It is my understanding that Snell approved is stronger than DOT in the sense that it is designed to withstand multiple impacts in one area where as DOT to withstand just one.

Anyway, I got mine on sale for $69.99 (MSRP was like $130), and it has the removal pads, visor, chin strap, etc. Mostly all the same stuff the more expensive Shoei or Arai helmets do. It is just slightly better ventilation and noise reduction you pay for? Do you think it just looks better?

I wear ear plugs while riding, and if an aftermarket shield takes care of the buffetting, why pay so much more?
i thought the same way till i tried on an arai last week....hjc is getting the boot.......really, comfort weight were all different as soon as i pulled it on my melon. my helmet just felt like a clunky piece of junk...but on the other hand i'm sure it'll still keep my skull in minimal pieces.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
i thought the same way till i tried on an arai last week....hjc is getting the boot.......really, comfort weight were all different as soon as i pulled it on my melon. my helmet just felt like a clunky piece of junk...but on the other hand i'm sure it'll still keep my skull in minimal pieces.
Same here. I would always rather pay $69.99 for helmet (that's all my head is worth :mrgreen:) than hundreds. But after trying an Arai I didn't care what it cost as it fit. I have tried numerous helmets over the years and all hurt after wearing 30+ minutes or were too loose to be effective. The Arai fit perfect; snug and no pressure points even after hours on the head. A helmet that fits your head is the best helmet, regardless of brand. YMMV

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Are you looking at the RF-1000 or RF-1100. The price for a Wine RF-1100 at Helmet City is $377.99 and $324.99 at Com Acc. Both have free shipping. If you are looking for a closeout on the RF-1000 there are deals all over the place. I have not shopped them all, because, well I'm looking for the 1100.
Yep you are correct, my mistake I was looking at the RF1000. BTW I just ordered one, a Monza Red one at my local dealer and he matched the CA price! It's a really nice helmet I tried one on and it fits like a proverbial glove. Too bad it's cold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts