I have an rf1000 and soon would get a new one

My most important would be ventilation

I would have just went rf1100 but now there is an option

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had one for a few months now.
Like:
Quiet - I can comfortably go without earplugs. (as long as the shield is down)
The shield and cheek pads are available and are interchangeable with the 1100
Light but not as light as the 1100 - not noticeable really.

Dislike:
Fogs up easily - There are things you can do about this but out of box, it's horrible.
Cannot remove liner. need to wash in place.
Ventilation is only so-so except by the chin; very breasy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Most helmets that vent well tend to be louder. Have not rode with a Quest, as it does not fit my head - it is more of an Arai elongated fit.

So far, one of the best vented helmets that I have used in my limited experience and that fit the shape of my head well is the Bell Star that I currently use. When I have it on, it feels like there is a hurricane on the top of my head! Great airflow!

However, the Star is loud and requires plugs. It did sell on clearance as a 2009 model for $199... best deal out there on a quality racing lid, as they were $550 new.

·
Registered
808 Posts
How did you defog your Qwest? I had horrible fogging issues in the rain. I think it's more me than the helmet -- I produce a lot of heat/humidity (I'm always the guy in the car fogging up the windows), but it was very frustrating. Even my glasses were fogging up in the helmet, which leads me to believe that the pinlock solution would not do a thing for me..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had a Quest for a few months now. It is by far the best fitting helmet I have. As far as fogging I just crack open the shield and its gone in seconds. I also bought some Parkers anti fog spray and this stuff really works. Bought at Cabelas, around $10 bucks. Back to the Quest, have several Fulmer helmets, and in comparison the Quest is much quieter. Purchased a gradient shield which I also like real well. My ride to work each morning is directly in the sun and home again at night the same thing. This shield helps block the sun and gives a clear view of the road.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I really like my Quest. It is the most comfortable helmet I own. If you have a RF100 and like the way it fits you will be happy with the Quest. It is very quiet and the eye port is quite large. As for the liner, yes it is not removable. So what?
It fogs about the same as any other helmet, the crack open option on the shield lock helps with that. A pin lock is available although I don't have it.

Ventilation is OK, the switches are very intuitive to open or close the vents.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cooler or less cool than rf1000 or rf1100 ?

Note I fully submerge washed my rf1000 it took 3 days to dry but its a 100%

Funny the cheek pads seem snugger ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anybody got one

I have an rf1000 and soon would get a new one

My most important would be ventilation

I would have just went rf1100 but now there is an option
Take both for a test ride... I personally like the RF1100 better than the Quest and definitely superior to the 1000 IMO.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cooler or less cool than rf1000 or rf1100 ?

Note I fully submerge washed my rf1000 it took 3 days to dry but its a 100%

Funny the cheek pads seem snugger ?
I've had both and I find that the RF1100 vents significantly better than the Qwest and is, therefore, cooler. The difference, for me, was amazing and that's why I've settled on the RF1100 long term. The Qwest was comfortable for sure, and was quieter than the RF1100 (again, probably venting related), but I found myself reaching for the RF over and over.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Shoei Qwest Review - webBikeworld
Shoei says the Qwest has a slightly different internal shape than the RF-1100 or X-12. I'll buy that; the Qwest feels just a touch more round inside than any of the RF- or X- series helmets I've worn. In fact, unlike the RF-series, the Qwest is actually a pretty good fit on my very round head shape, with just the tiniest amount of breathing room along the center of my flat forehead.

The Shoei Qwest is one of the nicest helmets I've worn in the 10+ years of webBikeWorld.com reviews. It combines sleek and modern good looks with class-leading quality and comfort and noise control; solid and secure operation; and an excellent face shield system. This is all simple stuff that very few get completely right, thus the "benchmark" label.

Combine all that with a price that is currently $155.00 less (list) than the Shoei RF-1100 and throw in the Shoei five-year warranty and you have a helmet that is both a benchmark and which surely is a front-runner for the 2010 webBikeWorld Helmet of the Year Award!

Shoei Qwest Helmets - RevZilla
At a glance the new Shoei Qwest Helmet is the Touring equivalent of the new RF-1100 Sport Helmet. At a low $300 price point it offers a slightly rounder oval shape, an vent configuration which flows more air in an upright touring position and it is 1.2DB quieter than the 1100. The Shoei Qwest Helmet is also SNELL 2010. This helmet proves to be a great option for those considering the super-premium Arai RX-Q Helmet but want to invest less than $450..

·
Registered
14 Posts
How did you defog your Qwest? I had horrible fogging issues in the rain. I think it's more me than the helmet -- I produce a lot of heat/humidity (I'm always the guy in the car fogging up the windows), but it was very frustrating. Even my glasses were fogging up in the helmet, which leads me to believe that the pinlock solution would not do a thing for me..
Super old post but I'll add my two cents anyway.

When I last rode I wore the Shoei tz-r and I really liked it. Good fit, nice feel, decent road noise (though I wore earplugs anyway). I was riding in Vancouver BC year round though and fogging was an issue. I found a mask that velcroed onto the cheek pads and covered my nose and mouth and created a breath chamber with an open bottom completely independent from the shield. Think of it like a curtain partitioning off that part of the helmet. I really liked the way it felt and worked. I can't recall the name of the thing though so this may have been completely unhelpful. :mrgreen:

For the record that TZ-R saved my head nicely when I wrecked and is the reason that the Qwest is on a very short list of helmets for my return to the saddle. It's good to see the positive feedback here.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zombie Thread

Bought the RF1100
I am happy with it

Painted 1/2 with fluorescent Red which of course is really pink

·
Registered
92 Posts
Zombie Thread

Bought the RF1100
I am happy with it

I just returned a Qwest to Revzilla but not for any sort of whistle noise. In fact, I hadn't even ridden in it yet. It's a beautiful helmet. It just didn't fit quite right. When they say in the demo video that is has a slightly rounder shape, especially around the lower part of the helmet, they mean it. I've been riding with a medium Shoei Hornet for the last year and it fits me perfectly - nice and snug in all quarters. The medium Qwest felt like it was 1/2 size too big. I even double-checked my head measurements against the Shoei size chart. I am a medium. I could pull the chin bar down and almost get the helmet off. The customer service rep confirmed that the Qwest is a more neutral shape than the traditional Shoei intermediate oval shape. I'm having to switch to an RF-1100 to get the more narrow fit I need.

If Shoei's have always fit you - if you have a "Shoei" head - you should definitely try the Qwest on and give it a serious fitment test before pulling the trigger. YMMV

·
Registered
197 Posts
Shoei Kwest Helmet

I have to agree with the earlier posters; the Kwest is really quiet, but it does tend to fog up in cold weather. I jsut leave the shield open one click. What decided me was the low price, plus a good fit. For me, it is really comfortable.

What did the OP end up buying, I wonder?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have to agree with the earlier posters; the Kwest is really quiet, but it does tend to fog up in cold weather. I jsut leave the shield open one click. What decided me was the low price, plus a good fit. For me, it is really comfortable.

What did the OP end up buying, I wonder?
2 comments up...

Zombie Thread

Bought the RF1100
I am happy with it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts