StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After enduring really bad coffee over the past three weeks (I can assure you that if Seattle's Best Coffee is really Seattle's best coffee, things are worse than I first imagined :confused: ) - I found a place in Seattle that actually makes good coffee. :hurray:

Opposite the Seattle Art Museum, there's a place called Fonte. Try it.

However, if you like the usual stuff served up here, you might not like good coffee. :green_lol:

What did amaze me was the queue out the door at Starbucks opposite the Pike St Markets. :jawdrop: I had to take a pic to show my wife when I get home. A couple of years ago, Starbucks closed 75% of its stores in Australia:

Sydney Morning Herald said:
The American company admitted it had struggled in Australia's "very sophisticated coffee culture" and said the announcement was unrelated to its closure of 600 stores in the US

·
Registered
808 Posts
After enduring really bad coffee over the past three weeks (I can assure you that if Seattle's Best Coffee is really Seattle's best coffee, things are worse than I first imagined :confused: ) - I found a place in Seattle that actually makes good coffee. :hurray:
There are tons of excellent coffee shops in Seattle. They're just not typically (large) chains. But then, this is true of most food and beverage.

What did amaze me was the queue out the door at Starbucks opposite the Pike St Markets. :jawdrop: I had to take a pic to show my wife when I get home. A couple of years ago, Starbucks closed 75% of its stores in Australia:
The reason for that is that it is the original Starbucks from 1971 (and, of course as you've seen, Pike Place itself is already a tourist trap)

Starbucks - Points of Interests - Visiting Seattle - Seattle.gov

·
Registered
417 Posts
There are lots of small shops in Wa that roast their own and make some pretty amazing coffee. And Seattle's best is crap. The best coffee I have had bar none is at columbia river coffee roasters in Astoria Oregon.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Seattle's Best Coffee is owned by Starbucks.

I buy coffee beans from a local roaster. I've tried their blends and sometimes get a mix of blends...it's fun to experiment when the still-warm beans are dipped from the bulk bins.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
With a coffee kiosk every 500 feet you can't find good coffee? I go to Mc Donalds and get my Senior coffee for less than a buck and am satisfied. No over burnt beans massaged to death by a pimply barista. What do you folks want other than smooth good flavor?

·
Super Moderator
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
With a coffee kiosk every 500 feet you can't find good coffee? I go to Mc Donalds and get my Senior coffee for less than a buck and am satisfied. No over burnt beans massaged to death by a pimply barista. What do you folks want other than smooth good flavor?
Correct. One cannot find good coffee - especially at Maccas. If you say Maccas is good, then obviously you either have no taste buds or you are trolling! :D

There is no good flavour in most of the US coffee I tried, It's awful swill.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't drink coffee (from Seattle I hesitate to volunteer that info!) so can't comment on the coffee debate.

But P38's comment on "swill" reminded me of what non-Americans think of what Americans consider "beer" (Bud, Miller, Coors - yuk...).

Having been stationed in Germany in '70s and lived in New Zealand in the '90s for five years, I was so thankful to see micro-brews spawning in the '80s and making headway for those who drink for taste and not just "cheap effect".

However, in NZ - DB and Canterbury Draught - Tui - Speights - they all did BOTH! :yikes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks P38arover for the links - and laughs!

The video immediately brought back many memories of driving by the brewery and its distinctive architecture on road trips north from Masterton where I lived.

However... I didn't see any hot babes hanging around guarding the place!! :mrgreen:

I'm not a beer connoisseur either - but although DB, Canterbury and Tui are cheap mainstream NZ beers and not as good as some specialty brews - unlike Bud, Miller and Coors "watery swill", at least they had some "bite" and character to them.

Cheers
(I may have to search around and see if I can get some NZ/Aussie "real" beers here - been too long)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Smooth good flavor is not something I associate with any drip coffee. I'm not enough of a coffee snob to tell a huge different between different beans, but I've never had a cup of drip that didn't taste like warmed over sock water. There's simply not enough flavor.

Espresso tastes the way coffee *smells*, which is to say deeeeelicious! :thumbup:

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
If you say Maccas is good, then obviously you either have no taste buds or you are trolling!

You either have exquisitley trained tasted buds or or jaded by the like of which I've never tasted. Good luck in a mundane world. I'll take my Mc Caccas and be down the rode while your seach for perfection drives you distraction.
You aren't making your own with a recycled paper filter are you?:jawdrop:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts