StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year during my attempt at Inuvik, my first fork seal blew close to Eagle plains and I had to turn around, the second blew partway to Whitehorse. It ended up costing around $600 at the shop because they had to drain/fill the shocks, replace both seals, then overhaul both brakes with new pads since both sides were oil fowled.

I am contemplating another run up there next year, just to get it done, also the road to Tuktoyaktuk will be open, so that would be exciting to see, but.. I want to prevent fork seal issues this time and was thinking of some covers for the forks.

Shock Sox look interesting

https://bermmotorsports.com/collections/frontpage/products/street-shock-sox

Does anyone have any experience to share about these or other variants? What works and what doesn't?

I want something that can be mounted externally so they can be removed and check for crud build-up on occasion.

Or is it better I skip this and just WD-40 the forks every once in a while on the trip up?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I put fork gaiters on every bike's fork that didn't have them stock and a shock sock on the shock. I never had a seal leak since doing that. Do it. It will help greatly.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Those look nice bugzy and should work since you don't have a fork brace, but those of us with a 650 and fork brace are likely ass out. :(

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I use Seal Savers; I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV. Never had a fork seal leak in about 60,000 miles on two bikes after I started putting them on. I don't do off-road stuff, but I do end up on a lot of dirt and gravel roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Curious

Did the shop have an explanation for the leaking seals? If it was just dirt, or perhaps pits from rocks, then the covers should do you some good. If you overloaded the shock with hard hits, probably gonna need to get a better shock.

When I first got my Vee, I was pretending it had off-road capability. Ended quickly when I got on a particularly rough road and repeatedly bottomed the shock. Yes, I was riding it like a motocrosser at the time. Fortunately I backed off after a bit and it was fine, with no perceptible damage, to the bike or me. I'm guessing if I'd continued, I would have started breaking bits.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you don't add fork gaiters, you can wipe the crud off the tubes after a ride with a rag. Grime and bugs will dry onto them that are forced past the seals and cause them to fail. You'll feel that they're hard to scrape off, they're bad for the fork seals for the same reason. I wouldn't use WD-40.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had fork problems too adventure cycle works showed my how to clean them “didn’t have to change seals much to my surprise” picked up seal savers at the ktm shop never had a issue on dalton or dempster or rest of trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
This year during my attempt at Inuvik, my first fork seal blew close to Eagle plains and I had to turn around, the second blew partway to Whitehorse. It ended up costing around $600 at the shop because they had to drain/fill the shocks, replace both seals, then overhaul both brakes with new pads since both sides were oil fowled.

I am contemplating another run up there next year, just to get it done, also the road to Tuktoyaktuk will be open, so that would be exciting to see, but.. I want to prevent fork seal issues this time and was thinking of some covers for the forks.

Shock Sox look interesting

https://bermmotorsports.com/collections/frontpage/products/street-shock-sox

Does anyone have any experience to share about these or other variants? What works and what doesn't?

I want something that can be mounted externally so they can be removed and check for crud build-up on occasion.

Or is it better I skip this and just WD-40 the forks every once in a while on the trip up?
Typically fork seal do not "blow". Either they get a tear in them or are held open by a piece of dirt/debris. That dealer flat out screwed you. Most likely your seals could have been reused once cleaned up but even new parts are $35. For fork oil a $4 quart ATF works wonders in the DL and a can of aerosol brake cleaner would have cleaned up the brake pads.

The whole project is easily done in a garage with minimal hand tools in an hour or two.

Gaitors and fork skins work in the same way. They keep dirt off the fork so the "wiper" portion of the fork seal doesn't have a tendency to wipe dirt under the seal lip and cause a leak. They also keep the chrome on the fork leg from getting sand/stone/dirt blasted so it remains smooooooth.

A word on "fork seals". Actually there is no such thing as a "fork seal" they are "end shaft seals" and nothing special or modified to be used on motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I use the 13" socks in all my dirt bikes with conventional forks but have never found a need on those with USD forks "except for my V2".

The left seal on my Wee and V2 both leaked a number of times, after a cleaning they would seal up for a while but the leak would return, changing the fork fluid for ATF extended the time between cleans.

I have always used a small strip of sponge rubber between the fork seal and the dust cover to help collect to crud before it reached the seal, I should have been changing the sponge every couple of months but I only thought of it each time a leak showed up.

About 18 months ago I passed my Wee down to my younger brother and before I handed it over I swapped the sponge between the seals for some green scourer pad, the stuff used for scrubbing pots & pans in the kitchen, the leak on my Wee has never returned so when my V2 stared to leak again about 6 months back I used the pot scourer and it is working great, it cleans the leg before the seal reaches it.

I carry a few strips under my seat and will change them if it is a real muddy ride or put them into other peoples bikes if they are having seal problems.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
What bike do you have?

V2: I made my own out of Neoprene that holds hook Velcro on one surface. Easy to attach and detach. A couple of Velcro strips and a couple of zip ties hold them in place. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Been thinking about doing forkboots or something similar for a while now. Do the shock sox work with a forkbrace?
Yes. The trick is to attach 2 straps of Velcro hook tape to the sock and clamp them under the fork brace. They will hold the sock up. Works only with socks that have a loop type surface at least on one side.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Last week my buddy and I were riding some pretty moderate off road(07 DL and 15 DL). The '07 developed a pretty good leak on the rf shock. When we got back to my shop, I cut up a plastic Subway cup into a long narrow "V". I shoved the pointy side in(and curved side with the tube curve) all the way around the seal twice as far as it would go. We hit my pasture at 30 mph and did some jumps, then did a technical "follow the leader" for a few miles.....ditches, fields, climbs ...and no more leak.

I have to give credit to Big B....he is always 'a preachin that the seal can be cleaned with a thin piece of plastic....well, he was RIGHT!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use Seal Savers; I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV. Never had a fork seal leak in about 60,000 miles on two bikes after I started putting them on. I don't do off-road stuff, but I do end up on a lot of dirt and gravel roads.
Which version did you order? Dirt or street? Length? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts