StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding down to Halifax on June the 22nd and then onto the Rock but my wife is coming on the 30th by plane. Does anyone know the best way to ship her bike to Halifax. Her bike is a Honda 650 Hawk so it is a pretty small bike.
Originally she was going to rent a bike down East but, other than Harley's, there doesn't seem to be any rentals.

Any thoughts
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I can loan you a trailer.

Bill,

I have a trailer that carries my V-Strom from here to Toronto and back. It has no work to do from early May until mid-July, so it sits in a driveway in Toronto taking up space.

Would you like to borrow it?

Keith

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Keith
That is very kind of you to offer a trailer to a person you don't even know.
I really appreciate the offer.
I already have a good trailer.
The problem is that I am riding down a week earlier on my wee with my buddy on his Transalp. His wife is flying down but she will be riding pillion.
My wife is the independent type who likes to ride her own bike and I can't stand passengers so we'll have to ship her bike down.
I know you are going to the rock so maybe we'll meet.
Your thread is so long that I haven't checked to see what you're current plans are.
I am planning to leave Sydney on the 25th but I am going to stay on the west side of the Island because I have to be back to meet my wife in Halifax on the 30th. Then we are going to tour Nova Scotia and ride home. This is all assuming the shipping goes as planned.
Thanks again
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Well, we may be strangers now, but ...

I'll be in the GTA soon, and maybe we will meet. I won't make it to the April 29th ride, but I will watch for a map and try to ride the same route some time in May.

Here is my schedule for the Rock (there is a thread here about this, and I recollect that you are there):
June 24: leave TO at about noon.

June 29: catch the ferry from NSNS to Argentia NL

June 30: ride Placentia-Trepassey- St. John's with Newfoundlander and his friends, Romans, and countrymen.

July 1 & 2: Celebrate Canada Day with people in St. John's, probably including the aforementioned bikers.

July 3: head west to face the DECISION: do I ride Labrador or chicken out?

July 11 (approx) arrive GTA. Lick wounds and plan James Bay trip for 2008?

As I understand things, my plans and your plans take us to different parts of The Rock at different times.

Here are two ideas from www.ridetherock.com, a place you would enjoy.

1. Give Gosine's Trucking on Bell Island a call to compare prices. They do weekly trips to/from Ontario.

2. Ive been doing a few runs locally with these guys.
http://www.shipitexpress.ca/

van is leaving stephenville tonight to head for the boat, end destination is somewhere in Ontario where its meeting up with a larger truck, then returning.

Not sure if it is of help though since its a mini-van, and i don't know whats in it on the way back, but wouldn't hurt to call em since they are back and forth all the time with trucks large and small.

(end of quoted material)

Best wishes,
Keith

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again

Thanks again Keith.
I'll check out those resources shortly.
When you are in the GTA let me know
Maybe we can get a small group together
Cheers
Bill

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
...Does anyone know the best way to ship her bike to Halifax.....

Don't know if its the best but it is very simple and it worked for me to ship my V from Vancouver to Toronto.

http://pmimotorcycleshipping.com/

Pricey but they take care of everything. You just arrange a pick-up location, a drop-off location and a credit card. They do the rest. I rode from Toronto to Victoria. Arranged to drop my bike at a dealer in Vancouver. Rode up, parked where the dealer told me to, took off my Givi bags, put my keys in my pocket and walked away. A week later, the bike arrived, back in Ontario. Simple.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Heavy

Thanks for the website.
I've filled in the data for a quote.
If the website is any indication, they are very organized.
I'll let you know what the cost is when they get back to me.
Cheers
Bill

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Its not a bad idea to follow up with a phone call.

It took some work to get the answers I wanted from them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Shipping News

Thanks again Heavy,
They were very prompt with the reply and can do the delivery for $540 Cad.
As you said they were expensive but I don't think overly so. I have phoned a few regular companies and I think the cost would be the same by the time I crated the bike myself, delivered it, paid for a forklift and then paid again to have it uncrated. I am curious, how much was the shipping from Vancouver.
I am thinking about shipping to Calgary and then riding up to Inuvik from there. Shipping could be a great time saver on that trip.
Cheers
Bill

P.S.
I'll be phoning them to confirm things.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Can't remember the cost for certain but I don't think we were far from the $1,000.00 mark.

As mentioned, not cheap but the fact that they do all the actual work for you makes it easier to swallow. I like the picture of the metal shipping skids they use.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention. They say to drain the gas tank. I just made sure I dropped mine off with less than 1/4 tank and didn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I paid around 600.00 to ship from Winnipeg to Vancouver after a recommend from Heavy. Galad I did it. Nice not having the hassle and expense of crating. Roll off, gas up and go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More Shipping Thoughts

This months Canada Biker has an article on a 1500 km gravel road running through Alberta, just east of the rockies, from south to north. This type of road and the surrounding attractions have to attract stromtroopers but not all of us can afford a week of travelling to do it. I know some people who would say shipping is a cop out, especially on a bike like the V strom, but if I only have 2 weeks I'd rather spend the bulk of my time on roads that are going to be different. The trans canada doesn't do anything for me (once was enough) and the alternate routes are way to long. Shipping and even renting bikes at the given location seem like great alternatives. I'm planning on renting a bike in New Zealand at some point. Anyway thats just a few of my thoughts on the matter. And thanks again Heavy for the tip.
Cheers
Bill

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I should be getting some sort of kick-back from PMI for all my promotional work. :-D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts