StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a free way to get my bike over to Germany by my company and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I'll have to get any special tags or permits to ride around Europe. I don't intend to sell it, just ride for a couple months and ship it home or store it for a while. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Andy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Still need some answers?

Green card insurance and ADAC is the basics. ADAC road service is not a requirement though...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Green card is another name for a liability insurance policy that is required for foreigners in the EU. Make sure that the 'green card' insurance you buy has coverage for the countries you are planning to visit...

You will need an international driver's license (valid for 1 yr, can be had at AAA office), as the US one alone is not recognized in the EU. Your DOT helmet may not be valid either... in some countries.

Also, read these:

European Motorcycle Traveling Tips

http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/riding/europe/

Motorcycle FAQ: Riding in a "Unified" Europe

On the plus side, having a bike that is registered in the USA, you don't have to worry about your lighting, exhaust, as well as any auxiliary trinkets that would otherwise be prohibited in the EU.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm planning a trip to France and will be using a friend's bike who lives there. Do I need my own liability policy for the time I'm there or does he just get a "rider" for me on his bike?

·
Registered
37 Posts
How to ship to France...?

I'm looking to got to France:
- how do I ship my '08 DL650A Strom?
- What are reasonable costs?
- Do I need to register it there as a tourist? or do I keep my US plates and buy EU insurance?
- ideas...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts