StromTrooper banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Was that for the radial or bias ply? Mine are radials, which were a few bucks more than bias ply.
Radials. $77 for a front and $86 for a rear @ Chaparral. Takes 5 business days for me to get though. Over $100 free shipping too.

My front 705 is starting to cup. Not wearing very much. I have a front tire and a smoke visor for my new helmet on the order list...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Was that for the radial or bias ply? Mine are radials, which were a few bucks more than bias ply.
Mine were radials

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I didn't think they were still selling the bias ply.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The first set I got were great, the second set I swore I'd never get them again. I may give them one more try. My problem on my last set was the front tire....it rode terrible.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Chaparall is running a special for today only (17th) free shipping. Full bore M 40 $88 to the house.

This is my third one. 1st one 7400 miles and 2nd one 6000 miles

·
Registered
606 Posts
I ran a Shinko 705 radial on the rear of my '06 Wee and loved it. As others have said, at first it seems to squirm a bit, but that didn't last long. I will put 705's on my new 2014 when needed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have used Shinko 705 radials on my previous 2006 1200GS, was getting about 11k kms from the rear and almost twice as much from the front. I did like them. I am using as well Shinko Raven tires on my 2009 1200RT, about 12k kms on the rear and again twice as much on front. I am quite happy with those as well, even thou that I had a tread separation on front in one of the sets after 17k kms. But, I guess, it can happen with any brand.
I already have a spare set of 705s for my 2014 DL650 in my garage.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have to call bullshit on the rears lasting 6000 miles, I am sitting in Tennessee right now waiting on a new rear tire since mine is worn out at 3000 miles and was just installed last week new, my bike is loaded for touring and I’m running 80-90 mph all day long, I’m sure more mileage could be got out of this tire if you were tiny and unloaded but 6k? Not possible, at least not in a real world situation.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Have to call bullshit on the rears lasting 6000 miles, I am sitting in Tennessee right now waiting on a new rear tire since mine is worn out at 3000 miles and was just installed last week new, my bike is loaded for touring and I’m running 80-90 mph all day long, I’m sure more mileage could be got out of this tire if you were tiny and unloaded but 6k? Not possible, at least not in a real world situation.
I doubt any tire would last much longer in those conditions. Heavy load = heat = wear. Add speed get more heat and more wear. Yeah, there are a few tires that give crazy mileage, but I think most would be similar to the Shinko's, maybe a bit better.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The only tire I got the 6k plus mileage was the anakee tire on a trip to Alaska with high speed and heavy load, but you get what you pay for!
Yeah, I can't remember what ones are the known high mileage ones now, but Anakee was one for sure. And yeah, the longer lasting ones would be more expensive. Maybe there's an industry standard formula for approximate estimated cost per mile.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was able to get over 10K miles out of my Shinko 705s.

I do not recall the mileage I had on the bike when I put them on, but I do know that:
  • I bought the bike in October 2013 with 6.5K miles on the clock.
  • I bought the Shinkos new in September 2016 and pulled the OE Bridgestone Battlewings off at that point.
  • My bike has 26 K miles on it now.

Extrapolation of mileage puts about 13K miles each on the Bridgestones and Shinkos; Extrapolation of dates puts more mileage on the Shinkos.

The rear Shinko was worn down to the wear bars. The front was cupping so badly that I thought something was wrong with the front end of my bike. It vibrated so much just because the tires were completely out of round. Shop said not to worry, forks and headstock are fine on a bike that has 26K miles on it.

Apparently, the Shinko 705s do not like being on the road; My motorcycle is a commuter vehicle and sees almost all highway riding.
About the only off-pavement riding they see is my driveway.
They also did not like being taken to the track.

I have since replaced the Shinkos with Michelin Road 5 Trails.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts