StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in comments, on these tires, by people who have "ridden them down the road."

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,590 Posts
I have run 4 sets of the Shinko 705. The last two sets were the radials that replaced the bias design. Never had any issues with the tread delaminating ( some people have ) or any other design problem. I found them to be very good in the rain, very good feel on dirt and gravel. They do have a slight amount of squirm at first on the pavement ( probably due to the very deep tread ) and have a bit of noise. They hold very well on the pavement, to the point of peg dragging and have a very good feel while riding aggressively. The front tire will cup some even when run at 36-38 psi but not much worse than some other dual sport tires. The front will last two rears at least. Rears on the 1000 might only get 4000 miles, the 650 would get 5500 or so. The first sets I paid just over $100 for the pair! If I rode more gravel/dirt these would be on the V Strom now.

I ran a set of the Raven 009 Shinkos on the Beemer. They lasted good and performed well enough but I never liked how they "turned in" and looked so I went with something else after the first set. They were not that much cheaper than other street tires for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i run shinko tires on my dr650, and do lots of rough off rosd stuff. they last a long time and handle well, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've got 9500 miles on my 705's. Might get another 1 or 1.2K more on the rear. The front is only 1/2 worn but has some cupping and has become somewhat noisey. Will change both soon. :hurray:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
There is a monster thread in here on the Shinko and an even bigger thread on ADV on the 705 specifically.

I personally love the Shinko 705. I've used them exclusively since probably 2007 or 2008 and have about 100,000+/- miles on them since that time on several different bikes - Stroms, KLR, Tenere, WRR.

I am a somewhat aggressive rider and typically get about 6,000 miles out of a rear and about twice that on a front on the Strom.

They stick well in all weather conditions on pavement, and are pretty predictable on gravel and hard pack dirt. Mud and any sort of soft or slippery terrain they are pretty dismal on, but that's to be expected.

I have never had any major issues with them. The first set I had was the bias ply and the tread was appearing to separate as the tires were nearing the end of their life anyway; I never considered it a problem since they were on deck to be replaced due to tread wear anyway. The subsequent radial sets have all lasted fine. The 705s do have a very weird "turn in" that takes a little getting used to.

Overall, I think they are a good tire for the money and I will keep running them.

Reactions: Coach23101

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had 705's front and rear when I bought my 650 2 1/2 years ago. I used up the rear and replaced with with a radial. The front was a radial and started delaminating last summer. I did run it under pressure, so was probably my fault. Shinko warranted it even though I didn't buy it, and they replaced it with an upgraded radial. So I think they are really trying to take care of things.

When my rear wore out in August, I replaced it with a Fullbore. Same basic tire, but the grooves are a little bigger and a higher speed rating. It's getting some good reviews out west, but I only have 1500 miles on mine. So it's another option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yesterday, I installed 705s front and rear. I just came home from a ride in the state forest. It was about 30 miles of road to get there followed by some aggressive riding on sandy fire roads. These tires are much better in the sand than the OEM tires. I got 7800 miles out of the OEM tires before a front flat forced a change. If the Shinko 705s prove to be durable, I am a happy customer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
KLR650. I got about 6,000 miles before the lugs started to tear apart on my 705's.

I can't complain because they lasted a long time and hooked up in both dirt and pavement, but that's my experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
It's what I have on the DL.

Great tire and best value so far for me.

Thinking about Michelin PR4's but they are $170 for a rear! :jawdrop:

·
Registered
565 Posts
6000km on a 705 rear, on the GS ran two different model sets, for my style of riding, they work well :thumbup: I keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down or at least mostly pointing to the road :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
I think as more people learn a out the FullBore m40/41 version of this tire, the less you'll hear about the 705...

·
Administrator
18,291 Posts
I think as more people learn a out the FullBore m40/41 version of this tire, the less you'll hear about the 705...
Availability might hurt that tire though, although sounds like a great tire.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I might give the 705's a try next time. Even if I don't like them, a hundred bucks for a set is a relatively inexpensive experiment.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I might give the 705's a try next time. Even if I don't like them, a hundred bucks for a set is a relatively inexpensive experiment.
You will not find them for the Vstrom at that price. The best I could do was $175 shipped free from Bike Bandit.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
My bad. I should have said "rear tire" and not set. A rear tire was what I was shopping for recently when I priced the Shinkos (both Revzilla and Motorcycle Superstore had them in the $80-90 range). The mix of bad and good reviews kept me from pulling the pin on them. Maybe next time....

·
Registered
159 Posts
You will not find them for the Vstrom at that price. The best I could do was $175 shipped free from Bike Bandit.
Just grabbed a set from chapparal for $165 shipped last month. Will be mounting them in about 500-600 more miles... Well see- stock trailwings did well at 7300 miles...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just grabbed a set from chapparal for $165 shipped last month. Will be mounting them in about 500-600 more miles... Well see- stock trailwings did well at 7300 miles...
Was that for the radial or bias ply? Mine are radials, which were a few bucks more than bias ply.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can run 1 front and 2 rear full bore M40's cheaper than 1 front and 1 rear of the hedi k76. And keep a fresher rear during the life of the set. Total price... $349 shipped and installed vs $378 shipped and installed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts