StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new to me 07 wee strom last night. It needs a new set of tires and after reading every single tire thread I think I'm going to give Shinko 705s a try. I have two questions.

For the front tire the shinko has two tires that are the exact same size but the tire with the R rating is $73.00 and the tire with the Q rating is $46.99. What causes the huge price difference between the ratings? Are both tires fine for the Wee?

When I look at the tire description in my manual it's written out 110/80r19M/C 59H.

When buying a tire does it need to match exactly all the letters that are in the description? And what do all those letters mean....the...R...the..M/C...and the H.

Thanks in Advance for your help.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The R is the radial, the one you want, with an H speed rating.

The Q is the speed rating of the bias ply tire, the one you don't want.

I bought my set of Shinkos from murpskits.com, $158 delivered, and fast service. I like supporting small companies that specialize in Vstroms.

The Q speed rating is for a maximum speed of 99 mph.
The H speed rating is for a maximum speed of 130 mph. This is the minimum spec for our bikes.
Both are moot for my riding. The higher rated tire usually has a more responsive construction and better quality rubber.

The tires also have a Load Index molded into the sidewall. The front has the Load Index of 59, which means it can carry 536 pounds when inflated to the max shown on the sidewall. The rear has a Load Index of 69 for 716 pounds. Of course, the rest of the bike isn't made to carry this weight.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The R is the radial, the one you want, with an H speed rating.

The Q is the speed rating of the bias ply tire, the one you don't want.

I bought my set of Shinkos from murpskits.com, $158 delivered, and fast service. I like supporting small companies that specialize in Vstroms.

The Q speed rating is for a maximum speed of 99 mph.
The H speed rating is for a maximum speed of 130 mph. This is the minimum spec for our bikes.
Both are moot for my riding. The higher rated tire usually has a more responsive construction and better quality rubber.

The tires also have a Load Index molded into the sidewall. The front has the Load Index of 59, which means it can carry 536 pounds when inflated to the max shown on the sidewall. The rear has a Load Index of 69 for 716 pounds. Of course, the rest of the bike isn't made to carry this weight.
Thanks for the info. Murphskits are a great shop. I used to get a lot of KLR stuff from there. I'm still learning what vendors carry v strom supplies.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't know what tires you have now, but the shinko's turn in quicker than anything I've had to date, it just took a while to get used to the characteristics. Now I wouldn't want to go back to a tire that doesn't handle this way. once their scrub in they stick pretty well. I just recieved a "fullbore" tire which is almost a exact copy of the shinko, but with a "v" rating. there are very slight differences in the tread design, but you have to lay them together to see the difference, I'll go into detail in another thread. overall I'm pretty happy with the Shinko radials, only way they could be better is if they would last longer, but hey, you can't have every thing for $83.00 now can you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shinko 705'S

Hi
I've been riding my 650 since 2004 and have had every tire on it and have to say if you do a lot of highway driving I would stay away from the shinkos and get those ankee tires. I feel shinkos 705s are a little bit crunchy for lack of a better word and not very good at speeds over a 100mph. They look great but feel cheap. Just my thought

·
Registered
320 Posts
So is it that I cant run the Q rated shinko 705 or just that I shouldn't...?!

And if I shouldn't, then why?!

It costs almost half the price relative to the radial, so why wouldn't i want to run it if I don't ever go over 99 mph, which is what is the implied max for the Q rating?

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Real good tires, these 705's, but be prepared for howling between 40-50.
The tires, not you.

Reactions: Big B and eagleeye

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
I've not had a problem with the 705's of the several sets I put on the bike.
According to Greywolf, the bike is a hazard to itself over 100 mph. Wouldn't matter about the tire.
Motorcycle Super store delivered 2 sets for $300 in a couple days.
The only crunchy I notice is moving the bike at a walk getting it out of the garage.
For the money it's a great tire.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Real good tires, these 705's, but be prepared for howling between 40-50.
The tires, not you.
They definitely are noisy, especially when they get worn. Fortunately, the earplugs fix that problem.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
I don't know what "crunchy" means, but the Shinkos do vibrate more than something like a Battlewing. They also feel really weird at first in how fast they turn. I ddn't like that feeling at first, quickly got used to it, and now miss the way they handle since I'm riding on a set of Battlewings at the moment. I'll be back on the Shinkos once the front BW wears out.

I bet a lot of us in here wouldn't consider "not very good at over 100 mph" to be a ringing condemnation of the tire.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try the 805/804s same compound, look better, way better off road, same price and mileage, and don't howl. They work as well as the 705s on the street too

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
Try the 805/804s same compound, look better, way better off road, same price and mileage, and don't howl. They work as well as the 705s on the street too
Potential clearance issue with the Wee2, they have eaten/destroyed one front fender here for certain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts