StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried these? I just put my first set on and arrived today from a 1200 mile ride. They perfromed great at high speeds, in corners, rain and dirt. They're cheap I know and I know you shouldn't skimp on moto tires. That being said for the money i'm in.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Never heard of them.

Just kidding....plenty of tire threads and several about the 705's. I'm running a set now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im running a new 705 on the rear. Love it so far and have had no problems. Ran it on a 400 mile day trip with about 60% pavement and 40% forest service gravel roads. Not one problem. Im going to put one on the front at the end of this season.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Recently replaced a 705 on the rear and got 4,000 miles out of it. The tread squares were beginning to peal off. Made me a bit nervous so I replaced the front as well. Probably won't be getting more in the future. Gotta say the Conti Road Attacks I put on are considerably smoother and eliminate 99% of the front wheel "wobble". I'd rather have the peace of mind than a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Recently replaced a 705 on the rear and got 4,000 miles out of it. The tread squares were beginning to peal off. Made me a bit nervous so I replaced the front as well. Probably won't be getting more in the future. Gotta say the Conti Road Attacks I put on are considerably smoother and eliminate 99% of the front wheel "wobble". I'd rather have the peace of mind than a few extra bucks.
This was the old discontinued bias play 705's correct? Not the new radials?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just ordered a rear for my 650 and they sent me a 150/70-17 M/C 69Q, is this a bias ply tire, no R in the size on the tire. The dealer asked the supplier was it a radial and they said yes but the tire doesn't say it. Will this be dangerous with the Trailwing radial on front or should I get them to order the right tire.:furious::furious::furious::confused::

And if that's not enough, the tire has a 3010 manufactures date so it's a new tire, I thought only the old ones were bias and the new ones were the radials.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am considering new tires for the spring and came upon this while searching Shinko 705:
Never heard of them.
...PRICELESS Swingset!!

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I just ordered a rear for my 650 and they sent me a 150/70-17 M/C 69Q, is this a bias ply tire, no R in the size on the tire. The dealer asked the supplier was it a radial and they said yes but the tire doesn't say it. Will this be dangerous with the Trailwing radial on front or should I get them to order the right tire.:furious::furious::furious::confused::

And if that's not enough, the tire has a 3010 manufactures date so it's a new tire, I thought only the old ones were bias and the new ones were the radials.
You'll be fine. You can run bias & radial on a motorcycle at the same time. This is not true for cars.

The issue with the bias versions were their tendancy to develop cracks at the base of the knobs. This has been covered before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my second set of 705's...decent tire for the money. Have had no problems with the tires. Decent grip on paved roads I commute on, a little noisy due to large knobs but not enough to keep me from using them in the future. :thumbup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Shinko

I have went through two sets of these now and continue using the 705's. They work great and you save a little cash compared to other tires.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
I'm on my 2nd front and 3rd rear Shinko 705 (all bias plys) and I have a new set of the radials sitting here ready to be installed but then I just saw these Kenda Big Blocks. They cost a bit more but a lot less than TKC's.

Kenda - Big Block

·
Registered
163 Posts
I sorry...not to start a flame war but I wouldn't put a set of Shinko's on a tricycle. Check their rubber compound and look at the quality control (check a rack of tires at the dealer).

Guys this is the only thing between you and the road - put your money where it matters. Seat of the pants feelings are fine but they are just that. How many professional riders are using their tires? Buy the highest rated tire you can find. I don't care if the bike won't do 140 mph - don't you want that safety factor.

just my .02

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just got mine the other day from Motorcycle Superstore for $148 shipped. New to the Strom but I thought for less than the cost of a rear for a Metzler, I'd give these a try.

Me too. same price. free ship. installing these in am at local dealer. Plus my new 43 tooth rear sprocket. i could do the sprocket myself.......but it's gonna be right in their hands.....getting more lazy by the day. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I sorry...not to start a flame war but I wouldn't put a set of Shinko's on a tricycle. Check their rubber compound and look at the quality control (check a rack of tires at the dealer).

Guys this is the only thing between you and the road - put your money where it matters. Seat of the pants feelings are fine but they are just that. How many professional riders are using their tires? Buy the highest rated tire you can find. I don't care if the bike won't do 140 mph - don't you want that safety factor.

just my .02
Show me a single accident caused by a catastrophic 705 failure, and I'll take your caution seriously. Just one. There HAS to be one, for your fears and anxiety about Shinko tires to be justified because thousands of us have been running them, in all kinds of unfavorable conditions.

Just one. I'll wait.

What, btw, do you base your belief that they're unsafe tires on? Low price? The name? A feeling? Perhaps you've run them and been let down? Do tell.

So far the issues with the 705 bias ply tires have been delaminating, which have been mostly an issue of running them too heavy with not-enough-air, both avoidable situations...and that's moot now with the new radials. Even the delamination issues were not inherently deadly...they gave you ample warning (bubbling at block sides) if you did a normal pre-ride inspection. I went through 2 sets of bias ply 705's without any such issue, but I keep my pressures right and keep excess weight off 'em. I've had Dunlops and Metzelers delaminate, btw...."high end" tires.

Anyway, back to you...anything on catastrophic failures?

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts

just my .02
How timely, I just installed my first pair this afternoon. I was surprised at the ease that the beads seated. Rear at 24lbs, front at 16. All the reviews I've read were generally favorable. Ordered some 'ride on' for them also. Appreciate the concern but surely they must have to meet some standard.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts