StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about ready to order a new rear tire for my 06 K1000. I have run Shinko 705s ever since I got the bike on 2011 with only 1,200 miles on it. I like the tire and generally get about 8000 miles from the rear. Now I want to try the Shinko 805. I don't do a lot of dirt riding but enough to want to give a little more aggressive tread pattern a try. Does anyone run an 805 on the rear and a 705 on the front? what was your experience?

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
I just mounted an 805 rear on my 04 Wee. My legs just got shorter! It's a taller tire that the 705.
It handles the twisties just fine in the dry conditions even on break in.
It does feel a bit lumpy at walking pace moving the bike around but smooth once it's moving.
The guys at CSC cycles matched a price from Chaparral but with a couple add ons to the mount and balance it ran me $150.00.
Saved me from waiting a couple days or a 2 hour drive to San Berdu and back plus gas for the 100 miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the 804/805 combo on my bike. About 3000 miles so far and judging by my rear tire I woulg guess I can get 6000 out of it. It was lumpy below 10mph as previously stated for the first few hundred miles but thats gone now. I had the bike in Colorado so I was ripping around mountain roads on the way to ride the mountain passes. Excellent traction on everything on and offroad- I’m planning on a second set when mine go.

Reactions: notacop and Big B

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just received the 805 today from Chaparral, much faster ship then I expected. I selected free shipping at check out and got it two days later. Not bad. I have been getting about 7000-8000 miles on a rear 705 and an astonishing 20,000+ on the front. Looking forward to seeing how the 805 works. I'll put it on on Monday when I have some time. I never thought about the profile being taller on the 805 but looking at the tread that makes sense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put the tire on yesterday and have road about 75 miles so far just on pavement. So far I like it, no noise and doesn't seem to have any more vibes then the 705. Will try to get it in the dirt here soon and see how it does there. That taller profile is evident when it's on the side stand and when it's on the center stand it rubs the ground. No big deal when I'm on the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm pushing it, but I have 9k on my 805 right now. 85/15 road/trail. I have a second set waiting to be mounted, but they are fantastic tires for the cost.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like my new 805/804 combo, I have only rode to work once with them but that's a pretty good cross section of my riding. Some in town, some highway, and a fairly interesting steep/bumpy/loose gravel road. I'm coming off a 705 setup, I can say the 805 seem to grip the gravel/dirt with more confidence.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I have the 804/805 combo on my bike. About 3000 miles so far and judging by my rear tire I woulg guess I can get 6000 out of it. It was lumpy below 10mph as previously stated for the first few hundred miles but thats gone now. I had the bike in Colorado so I was ripping around mountain roads on the way to ride the mountain passes. Excellent traction on everything on and offroad- I’m planning on a second set when mine go.
That is great news! I think i might swap my OEM tires out for the 804/805. Do they fit ok with the fender, etc? no clearance issues?

I have a 2015 DRZ400 and i find I am not doing much trail riding anymore. I don't enjoy loading it in the truck, driving a few hours to trails, etc so it really gets used as my gravel road bike. I'm thinking of a set of 804/805's and selling the DRZ in the spring if it all works out :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is great news! I think i might swap my OEM tires out for the 804/805. Do they fit ok with the fender, etc? no clearance issues?

I have a 2015 DRZ400 and i find I am not doing much trail riding anymore. I don't enjoy loading it in the truck, driving a few hours to trails, etc so it really gets used as my gravel road bike. I'm thinking of a set of 804/805's and selling the DRZ in the spring if it all works out :)
Sorry I just saw this quote! No clearance issues, they work great. I keep on thinking of buying a smaller dual sport, but the Vstrom does such a great job at everything I can't imagine selling it!

Reactions: TheSexyMedic

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Sorry I just saw this quote! No clearance issues, they work great. I keep on thinking of buying a smaller dual sport, but the Vstrom does such a great job at everything I can't imagine selling it!
haha I wound up having clearance issues. Chewed up my front fender. I bought risers from adventuretech.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts