StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles did you get out of the 804 fronts?

When you had them replaced was it due to cupping or thread wear?

How did they behave at the end of life on/off the road?

I've looked at many reviews but don't see this answered, at least in DL 650 context..

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
ZERO... just put mine on and it's been raining for a week :-( Hope to scrub them in a bit this week. If I get 7-8K they'll last me 2 years at the rate I ride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ZERO... just put mine on and it's been raining for a week :-( Hope to escrub them in a bit this week. If I get en7-8K they'll last me 2 years at the rate I ride.

The rear is done at 6k.
I really can not find any negatives. Plus they really make your bike look cool. I removed those stupid shiny "S" badges. I can't tell you how many people come up to me and say that bike is so cool. What is it?

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
I would install Mitas E07 if I were you, that front 804 might destroy your front fender due to lack of clearance, this would be for 2nd gen 650's.

Reactions: cyclopathic

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would install Mitas E07 if I were you, that front 804 might destroy your front fender due to lack of clearance, this would be for 2nd gen 650's.
The fender lift on my to-do list, but I am leaning towards getting e07 Dakar F/R. Trade off in off-road but better longevity; what is needed for 12k trip. Top of the world and Dalton isn't TAT.

We will probably have to use 705 front for street bike as it looks like the best option in 17" size.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
The fender lift on my to-do list, but I am leaning towards getting e07 Dakar F/R. Trade off in off-road but better longevity; what is needed for 12k trip. Top of the world and Dalton isn't TAT.

We will probably have to use 705 front for street bike as it looks like the best option in 17" size.
Buddy of mine runs the E07's on his 1200GS, he simply loves them both on and off pavement.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Eo7 is a good tire, just does not have as good traction on or off road. I've had them both. Plus, you can buy 2 shinko's for the price of a E07.
Easy fix on the front fender.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Eo7 is a good tire, just does not have as good traction on or off road. I've had them both. Plus, you can buy 2 shinko's for the price of a E07.
Easy fix on the front fender.
On road I bet the E07 overall outperforms the 804/805, and when talking about "off road" I also bet the E07 is overkill for 95% of Strom owners. ;) The E07 doesn't need the front fender to be modified, another reason why it is great choice IMHO.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On road I bet the E07 overall outperforms the 804/805, and when talking about "off road" I also bet the E07 is overkill for 95% of Strom owners. ;) The E07 doesn't need the front fender to be modified, another reason why it is great choice IMHO.
It is also longer lasting and quieter on pavement too. My only concerns with E07 there were a reports of front failure and recall with E07 fronts, there is an issue with some tires being out of round (check youtube) and the fact that on new tires due to lower lugs front has the tendency to step out earlier then rear.

So all together I would prefer 804 front, if it can make the trip.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I totally disagree on road. Don't let the aggressive tread fool you. I've had both. The E07s give up far before the Shinkos.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
I totally disagree on road. Don't let the aggressive tread fool you. I've had both. The E07s give up far before the Shinkos.
That seems to be your experience and opinion, doesn't mean it is gospel truth.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5 set's of E07's and I am not missing my Metzlar Torrance or Michelin Pilot roads for any road work. The stiff sidewall is great for off road with mag wheels. Very predictable tire. IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5I7mbFgkSk
Whatched the video; this is more than plenty. I have to go slower too much skid plate dragging.

How do you like them in the rain?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
10,000 miles on the front, replaced due to feathering of tread blocks before wear. This was the case across 4 sets of 804/805s. 805s I was getting 8000ish miles between tires.

Wheni moved back to Texas (where there is barely any serious off pavement areas) I switched back to 705s but the 804/805s are great tires andi recomend them to anyone.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cyclopathic

·
Registered
285 Posts
Whatched the video; this is more than plenty. I have to go slower too much skid plate dragging.

How do you like them in the rain?
Since I am retired I don't commute daily or make a habit of leaving the house in the rain unless I am heading to an event or rally my rain review is lacking. The times I have been caught in the rain I do push them and I haven't notice any abnormal or unannounced reactions this is the first bike I have had with the nanny systems (ABS/TC) no unintentional activation's of ether system on pavement except during acceleration.
Note: I do have a modifications to the engine systems and I normally run with TC Off on DRY. I also have a custom rear shock and front fork mods to give me 8" of skid plate clearance with me aboard on a 30mm sag.
I don't think you can find a BAD tire in today's market. I ride my V2 80% off road 20% Asphalt. I have a sport bike for my asphalt fix. Good luck and look for the best deal on tires and try them all.
B.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for everyone's feedback I will definitely keep 804 on my must try list but not for trip to Alaska. It is 10.6k in a bee line to Dead Horse, add detours (hate slab) and it will be 12k give or take.

Knowing how harsh those roads are on tires, it is better to go with longer lasting one. Besides most of the trip will be on asphalt less than 10% off and doable on street tires, if it doesn't rain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts