StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to change out the stock BW tires after ~9200 miles. Rear is completely square from commuting, and front is cupping. I've had 705's on a 06 Wee, and other than the odd tip in issue, they were fine. I'll be using them mainly for commuting, but i do head to an OHV and run fire roads and some gravel roads and off road single/doubletrack here and there. the stock BW's obviously limited my fun in those situations. The 705's on my wee were better... but i'm really trying to see if i can go 804/805 and have my cake and eat it too. :)

The two big questions:
1: Any difference in vibration between the two tires? I do a slab commute, and would prefer not to be shaken apart.

2: any difference in wear on them? i saw notes for some people that handling is awesome on the 804/805 but that the rear wore out in 3k miles. others are saying the rear runs to 6-7k no problem. what are your experiences so far?

Oh, and i'm not looking at other tires. There may be better stuff out there, but i'm generally a cheapskate on my daily driver tires and i'm not gonna change. it's not like what i put on my track bike.

thanks!
--Joel

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Already a big thread about these tires, for the record I love them......much better all around than 705. Moving this to the suspension and tire section, checkout the many threads there as well. :)

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
1. No idea, never ran the 705s. I am currently running 804/805 combo after replacing the stock TWs. Tip in is aggressive as you mentioned. Handling is great on pavement, no complaints, even at 80mph on the freeway. I commute 30 miles every day with them. I do notice slight knobby tire vibe from the front tire at very slow stop and go speeds... Other than that I can't tell they're knobbies.

2. I'll let you know in 5-10k miles :grin2:

You'll need a fender riser kit from ADVTech for the knobbies.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Only "potentially" need a fender raise kit for the 12-16 650's, prior year 650 had more clearance. I did install one of Ricks kits on my 15, and I am really glad I did for several reasons.

Reactions: Webfors

·
Registered
317 Posts
I bought my bike used and it already had 705s.

I went from 705s to 805s three-and-a-half years ago, and just mounted my third rear. I don't recall any difference in vibrations. My front 705 has a slow-speed wobble from cupping, and I always thought the front 805 handled grooves in the road better.

I got 7700 miles on my first read 805 and 9000 out of the second. I changed the first because I had a trip coming up, and I waited on the second because it was winter and I wasn't making any trips other than 15 minute commutes. It was down to the wear bars, and I don't commute in the rain.

I got 12000 out of my first front 804, flipping it at about 6000. I'm at 5100 on my second and not ready to flip.

They stick good for me, but I don't push it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
After several sets of 705's, which I liked and rode up to AK, Dempster, Dalton, Interstates for hours at 90, whatever. I now have an 804 front with a waning 705 rear. When it's done I'll get an 805 and likely never own another 705. The 804/5 are just better. I don't track mileage, I don't care, so I can't speak to that. When they're done, I ride em a little more and then get another. If you're OHV bound, you'll like em more. As far as vibration goes: I used to notice it on the 705 front, I don't notice it on the 804.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I bought my bike used and it already had 705s.

I went from 705s to 805s three-and-a-half years ago, and just mounted my third rear. I don't recall any difference in vibrations. My front 705 has a slow-speed wobble from cupping, and I always thought the front 805 handled grooves in the road better.

I got 7700 miles on my first read 805 and 9000 out of the second. I changed the first because I had a trip coming up, and I waited on the second because it was winter and I wasn't making any trips other than 15 minute commutes. It was down to the wear bars, and I don't commute in the rain.

I got 12000 out of my first front 804, flipping it at about 6000. I'm at 5100 on my second and not ready to flip.

They stick good for me, but I don't push it.
Flip the front? Isn't it rotational?

·
Registered
567 Posts
The weird thing about the 705's is the tread patterns are reversed front to rear so it looks like one of the tires are installed incorrectly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've run several sets of both the 705s and the 804/805s on my Wee(s). I like both. The 705s are obviously more highway oriented vs the knobbies, but not as good on the slick stuff if you plan on doing more off-road stuff. Worst conditions I've ever ridden is gravel/dirt 2-track in the wet--I have no desire to do anything more technical with a +500# bike. Both tires will perform well on pavement and I can scrape pegs with either tire choice. I do think the knobbies have a bit more vibration at low speed, under 25 MPH. Once at speed, the vibration isn't noticeable. With mostly pavement miles, I get much longer life out of the 705s, but do experience some feathering--primarily on the front tire--when pushed hard in cornering after 5K miles wear or so. I get about 4-5K out of the 804/805s and upwards of 7.5-10K out of the 705s. Please note that there are some who will report less and some who will report far more. Tire mileage is highly dependent on riding style, pavement surface abrasiveness, road type (rural vs highway)...plus I choose to replace tires before they are completely done, since I ride pretty hard and want the best rubber I can get under me. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I agree with Badjuju. My typical mileage for any rear tire on my '14 1000 is somewhere between 3500 and 5000. That rear tire works hard, but I am willing to deal with tire wear in order to have the power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts