StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give a short review of my Shinko 804/805 tire combo. For those who don’t know these are 40/60 on/offroad tires similar to TKC 80s. I got 4500 pretty much on dot on the rear, front has I’m guessing 2500 more in it. To sum it up- I replaced them with the same thing so it tells you I like em!
Dry roads- 10/10
Wet roads- 8/10
Dirt- 10/10
Gravel- 9/10
Thick gravel/rocks- 9/10

These things were incredible on the road! On mountain twisties I’m scraping pegs a dozen times or so (within the speed limit of course) and can’t complain. Tires do get a little squirly on pavement repair areas but it’s not bad. On wet pavement they were surprisingly good and I never had an issue with slipping under normal throttle, reducing my normal riding speed of course.

On dirt and gravel roads these are great. They do slide out a little on turns under throttle, but that’s to be expected. On rocky roads (thinking Rollins Pass in Colorado) these tires were very impressive and gave me confidence to tackle the entire route.

Out of the 4500 miles I did roughly 100 miles of difficult trails (for me at least), 750 miles of forest roads mostly light gravel, 750 freeway, and the rest twisty/curvy/two lane highway roads. No issues with leaks or punctures and I drive up on campsites with broken glass/bullets/etc often. I highly recommend them for anyone looking for a tire that sees dirt or gravel use!

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Totally agree with your assessment of the Shinkos. Dry road performance of these tires is almost unbelievable for an off-road-rated knobby! They give very predictable grip on dirt/gravel as well. My experience with mileage/longevity is similar. At 4000-4500 miles, they were worn--although not to the point of being completely bald--and squared off sufficiently for me to change them out. I found that the edges started to feather and resulted in an odd feel on transitioning into/out of a corner, and if pushed hard in the twisties, I could feel the tread blocks "walking" under cornering stress.

BTW, I have an '09 in the same "fast" color as you. 50K miles and still smiling! It's been to CO, FL, and the mtns of NC/GA many times.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Hello,

Are they tubeless ? Would they fit on my 2011 V-Stom 1000 ?

Thanks,
Yes, and yes. I have them on my 2018 1000xt. For their price they are a great tire. I can attest to scraping pegs all day on pavement :grin2:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yikes scraping pegs in turns on pavement with knobbies? Very brave. I like the price. Do you have to raise the front fender?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Yikes scraping pegs in turns on pavement with knobbies? Very brave. I like the price. Do you have to raise the front fender?
On the DL1000 absolutely. I ripped up a section of my fender prior to the fender riser install.

On the DL650, recommended but not mandatory. I had these on my 650 and installed the fender riser kit to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I agree with everyone's assessment. I mounted them on the rear only of my '14 1000 and loved the tire. I kept a 705 on the front, and the combination of the two was excellent.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I put an 805 on the rear last month then did a thousand-mile road trip. No issues, didn't find it noisy or vibration inducing. Ran into some rain, I did not push it very hard. Not due to tire's behavior, I just didn't feel confident cornering on wet pavement with a knobby.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yeah, but...only 4500 miles?? Wow...

·
Registered
249 Posts
My buddy is on his 2nd set on his Africa Twin. He's an aggressive rider & he reports the rear is worn at 4500 miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah, but...only 4500 miles?? Wow...
I rarely get more than 5-6000 miles out of any of my tires. I'll occasionally keep a front for 7500 mi or so, but it's typically shagged and I want fresh rubber. Riding style, pavement surface and area of the country, i.e., FL vs NC vs CO, urban vs rural, etc., are the main determining factors in tire mileage.

If you want something that will give you more off-road capability, a 50:50 DOT-rated knobby is the only way to do it and you always sacrifice longevity. No such thing as a "free ride"....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts