StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some feedback on these tires. I see good reviews on line. I know they wont get a lot of mileage, but even 5-6K is a lot for me, coming from sportbikes where 3-4 K is a ton.

Do that handle OK (I know not like a sportbike tire) on the pavement. I am thinking if the mileage is low, they must be soft, so decent handling for what they are?

Also, how long does the front last compared to the rear? If I got 2 rears and a front, would I kill the front about the same time as the second rear???

Thanks all...

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts
They handle both on and off pavement better than you would expect.....fabulous tires for these big bikes if you actually plan on going off pavement.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they loud as poop on the pavement?

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts
I don’t think they’re bad, but I wear ear plugs......so there’s that. Lol

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I dunno, man, what does poop sound like? maybe the Dung of a bell?
Shinkos work well on my 04 and G650GS. I've dragged the pegs on the Wee in the twisties on occasion.
Yah, about 2 to one rear to front. About $300 a set delivered from some sources.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wear plugs too, so no worries there. I said poop cause the "s" work gets flagged. Found a f/r set for $171 shipped... soooooo... Probably gonna try em out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
For those on 14+ 1000's running the 804/805.... How much clearance do you have under the front fender? I think I remember there being a fender-raising kit available, but has anyone actually had clearance issues?

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
"300 is steep I normally get them for $175"

My bad, that was for 2, count them two, sets. Musta had a brain fart when I posted that.
From Motorcycle superstore. And in my usual goof, that was 705's.
Found the CSC motorcycle dealer nearby handles them and will mount and balance for a competitive price.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any wobble issues or other hidden problems on the 14- 1000's????

Just trying to cover all the bases. Thanks for the info guys..

·
Vendor
4,720 Posts
... Dung of a bell?
LMAO, Can't see the keyboard. Eyes teared up.

The 804/805's came up in my search for absolute best tires for gravel roads. Anyone have first hand gravel experience with these or other recommendations? I'm preparing (at least mentally) for the MABDR. I'm guessing much of it is gravel and hard pack dirt forest roads.

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts
LMAO, Can't see the keyboard. Eyes teared up.

The 804/805's came up in my search for absolute best tires for gravel roads. Anyone have first hand gravel experience with these or other recommendations? I'm preparing (at least mentally) for the MABDR. I'm guessing much of it is gravel and hard pack dirt forest roads.
Have lots of experience with these wonderful tires and still have some mounted, see my ride report from out West last Summer.......we all had on the big blocks. :wink2:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^^ Link for the report??? ^^^^

Gonna run alot of the OR BDR this summer... at least I hope to.

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
They are awesome in all conditions. I’m on my 6th rear and 4th front. Handle dry and wet pavement great. Awesome in gravel roads, the best I have ever used. Work well in sand, mud and dirt too.
Just remember to run 29 to 30 psi. They call for a max of 33 psi. Seem to ride well around 30.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I am currently running a 705 front with 10,000 miles and no sign of wear, and an 805 rear with 3000 miles that should be replaced in about 1000 miles. Both are excellent tires. Zero complaints with the 705 front.The 805 is great off road, and handles much better than they should at high speeds on paved roads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a few hundred miles off road on my shinko/14 Vee abd I absolutely love them on both off and on road. Naturally on ghe road yiu cant watch the speedo not slow down reaching triple digits but you can also zip pretty darn good off road. It pulls like a tractor. The clearance is not much with these big knobs close to the fender BUT I have not had any rubs and only a few rocks scrape along inside the fender in hundreds of miles. I don't see in there anyway so all good. The grooves between the knobs are quite wide so it throws most stuff out. These make such s difference off road. Love tgem. And as others have said, they work very well on the street. They are NOT loud at all until you reach about 80. Its s good reminder on the rating anyway. I also found they seemed really slick until they broke in and then , again, work great for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts