StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 712's mounted and balanced today...and went for a spin. So far, I really like these tires. From here on out, I might alternate between these 712's and TKC's.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Looks like a cheap cruiser tire......also doesn't look like it will be worth a damn on a wet road, or in the rain.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks like a cheap cruiser tire......also doesn't look like it will be worth a damn on a wet road, or in the rain.

You make a good point. I don't think anyone should be purchasing this tire if expectation is to have a soft rubber sport tire in the $400 a pair range that will last about 2-3k miles.....and stick like glue and be awesome in the rain.

I purchased this tire because I plan to do a lot of highway miles this year and I want a tire that can take the 2-up load and possibly eclipse 15k miles. Oh yeah, the 712's are Bias Ply.

By the way, the reviews I have read on this tire so far gave it pretty darn good scores for stickability and rain performance.....but for me, I will be the test of that.

I suppose I should also mention that I purchased these tires from Bike Bandit. Shipped to my door with my AMA discount, I got both for less than $100 total. I do my own mounting and balancing.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got back from a 150 mile ride on the Shinko 712's. I was very impressed. After I felt I had the tires 'scrubbed in', I ran some twisties with the wife aboard. The tires felt solid, stable and had no feel of "walking" in the corners. I was running them at 40psi.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Both for $100? Hope the "get what you pay for" doesn't bite. I just bought a set of Anakee 2 for $211, and that's with a distributor connections. These Shinko tires for half the price, at a good retail price? A concern?!?

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both for $100? Hope the "get what you pay for" doesn't bite. I just bought a set of Anakee 2 for $211, and that's with a distributor connections. These Shinko tires for half the price, at a good retail price? A concern?!?
Did 150 miles, 2-up with the wife today and these tires are SOLID!!!! I have absolutely no concerns. Several times I stopped to check the heat of the tire, etc., and it was all well.

Before I purchased, I did a lot of research and Shinko is rising up the scale. There is a guy on ADV that has ready eclipsed 5k miles and loves the tires.

Matter of fact, their new Dual-Sport tire will be my next purchase.... Check this one out!!!!!

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Model #

Did 150 miles, 2-up with the wife today and these tires are SOLID!!!! I have absolutely no concerns. Several times I stopped to check the heat of the tire, etc., and it was all well.

Before I purchased, I did a lot of research and Shinko is rising up the scale. There is a guy on ADV that has ready eclipsed 5k miles and loves the tires.

Matter of fact, their new Dual-Sport tire will be my next purchase.... Check this one out!!!!!

What's the model # for this tire ?

What's the model # for the matching front ?

P.S. I read the ADVrider threads on the Shinko's, and I believe the above tire is a 705. They say it won't be available until June.
As for the 712's, the rider reports it to be about a 5,000mi. tire.

Better like changing tires often. If the 5,000mi life is true, I'd rather stick with the Tourance for about $160 and see if I can't get near 15,000 with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Shinko Link

By the way it is the 705 series and you have to go to the second page of this thread (#20) to get to the info from Kick.

M

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's the model # for this tire ?

What's the model # for the matching front ?

P.S. I read the ADVrider threads on the Shinko's, and I believe the above tire is a 705. They say it won't be available until June.
As for the 712's, the rider reports it to be about a 5,000mi. tire.

Better like changing tires often. If the 5,000mi life is true, I'd rather stick with the Tourance for about $160 and see if I can't get near 15,000 with it.

"Shinko 712 Rear Tires are specially designed for extra mileage and better performance. These tires have a staggered tread pattern that provides excellent wet weather performance."

I did see the post of the guy on ADV who was only going to get 5k out of the rear. I also saw another post where a guy said he had run a couple of them and had gotten 10k-12k. I honestly take all that as a grain of salt. Riding style, surface and PSI have a lot to do with the distance a tire can go. For instance, on this site we have had riders report they are only getting 4k miles out of the rear stocker and then there are 2-3 reports of guys getting over 10k on those exact same tires. I got 8,300 miles out of my rear Trailwing. Then a lot of guys said my Presa Detour would only last 3k-4k miles. I got 6,300 miles out of those. I will bet the 712 I have on the rear of my Strom exceeds 10k miles, simply by how it looks and feels.

Anyway....only time will tell. I did another 60 miles on them this morning and they are getting better. For $67 to my door....this is a hell of a deal.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I now have 400 miles on the 712's and I like them better with each ride.

Today, I really put them to the test. My son wanted to go for a ride and we wanted to explore some dirt roads on his XL600. Well, I was a bit nervous, as I wasn't sure how the 712's would do on dirt roads with gravel and sand. The first mile was absolutely horrible....very scary!!!! Then I remembered....too much air pressure. I pulled over and dropped the psi from 40 to 20/25. And wow, what a difference!!!!

Actually, the tires were awesome on the dirt roads. Like I said, I am liking these tires more and more as I put them to the test.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 721's are getting a BIG Thumbs Down from me after about three months. I purchased these tires hoping they would be a 10k tire.....and the rear is only going to last about 5k. The front is easily a 10k tire.

Gave 'em a shot and am not pleased with the mileage and won't be repurchasing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shinko 712's or 705's?

The 721's are getting a BIG Thumbs Down from me after about three months. I purchased these tires hoping they would be a 10k tire.....and the rear is only going to last about 5k. The front is easily a 10k tire.

Gave 'em a shot and am not pleased with the mileage and won't be repurchasing.
I see where you've decided to go with the Sinko 705's instead of the 712's. Since my riding is 100% highway, mostly 2 up on the Vee, would you recommend the 712's over the 705's for my type of riding? BTW, I do my own tire changing and balancing. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts