StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of May this year my new-to-me '08 Wee needed some new tires. It still had the original factory ones and they were at 11K miles with still a whiff of tread left, but not much. Not being made of money, and hearing about impending furloughs for Federal employees, I really couldn't afford to spend a lot so I started looking around. My other bike (don't own a car!) is an '05 GS with 80K miles and I usually run Shinko 705s on it (I get between 6-8K miles on the rear and 12-15K on the front) but even the price of them was too much so I kept looking. The adventure bike sizes of 110\80-19 and 150\70-17 are well served in the marketplace with many high-end brands with commensurate high-end prices. I started searching various sites by size instead of type and hit on the Shinko 712s. They are made for some Harley so I thought on the Wee they would last a good while. Whereas the tread pattern is strictly street, so is 98% of my riding, so that was no problem. The only hitch was the front size. It didn't come in the 110\80-19. You have a choice of: 110\90-19 or 100\90-19. Because the speedo and odo are driven by the front tire I wanted it to be very close to stock. I found a site that gave the circumference for all three sizes and the 100\90-19 was a tiny bit different from the stock 110\80-19 (about 1%) so I went with it. When I installed them they went on as easy as the 705's usually do and the front looks just the same as the original to the eye. The speedo registers the same by my gps as the old tires did and my fuel mileage is identical so the odo is very close too.
I've ridden them for over 7K miles now and the front still looks new. The rear shows a little wear, but not much. I expect to get at least 10-12K on it.
The best part was the cost. I sourced them from Motorcycle Superstore and they were: front $48.99 and rear $67.99 shipped to my door. That comes to $116.98 for both tires!
I use my bike for commuting (50 miles RT) and weekend travel (~200 miles each weekend) and they handle everything I've been in from torrential Florida rains to egg-frying-hot asphalt and I've been very pleased with the results.

Reactions: dechaoz05

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
Our dreams are made of such reports after spending twice that on just a rear tire.
I'll be mounting Shinkos in the future.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Havent seen the 712.
But on my second rear 705 and Im happy for what they are.
Its not like the Conti trail attacks I liked but fit my budget much better.
Mike

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think I will try the 712 after my fresh 705s die. It has a lot of fans on many different bikes with few complaints. I'll be watching long term reports. $120 for 2 good tires is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any updates? IF this tire is half way descent, I'm game. I ride mostly freeway for my 100 mile commute, so a street tire isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the rear with another 712 after putting 11,800 miles on it. I was slightly into the wear bars, but no cords showing. The front still appears new. I've started using them on my GS as well because I never go off road.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
When I started riding the wee ! could get 11000 or 12000 out of a front tire and about 2/3 of that on a rear.
I did 10000 miles this year and burned through two sets of tires. (Metlers)
and they are wearing out at the same rate front to rear.
I never wanted to try a Shinko because I have read that they wear out fast.
How are you getting that many miles out of them?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looking to go to a street tire for an upcoming ride that will end up being about 3500 miles or so but no dirt. Thinking this may be a good choice? Someone said on another site that they do not make the correct size for the 07 VStrom 650 is this correct? If so what size are you running on the Wee?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
He's using the 712, which is a pure street tire.

You're probably thinking of the 705, which is a dual-sport tire.

As noted above, the proper size for the front (110/80-19) is not available in the 712, but a 100/90-19 seems to work just fine for the OP.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I'm running my first 712 rear, and I have another ready to go. No problems so far. No mileage report from me because that tire is still pretty new.

Thx for the info about the front tire!

I'm done with the 705's, glad that Shinko makes a little less aggressive tire in our size and at that same low low price point.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've been running 712's for a few years. The most mileage I got was 4500-5000( I have a tendency to run 38-40 PSI in the rear) To balance they seem to need a lot of weight.
Front tire I will get around 10,000 miles.
Those are the only negatives. Just a great tire for the money.
I might ride sometimes as much as 10 miles per year in the dirt, probably less.
The tires stick great. Pretty good traction in the rain. The front tire is a tad bigger than stock(only available size).
I usually order 1 front and 2 rears from Motorcycle Superstore with free shipping, It used to be $138. I think I paid $165+/- last time. I change my own tires , so I don't consider the low mileage a negative.
Since I doubt I ever make the dream trip to Alaska from Houston before I die, that's not a negative.
I ran Metzlers prior to Skinko's. The Metzler's mileage was only 6000-7000 miles.

Best Regards,
Les

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ordering the Shinko 712

Appreciate everyone's input here. Since I rarely go off-road I decided to go with the 712. I will follow up with performance/experience in a bit.

Paid $67 from and free shipping SHINKO 712 150/70-17 M/C 69H, REAR

Solid reviews and a great price - here's hoping my experience is as positive as so many others'.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When I started riding the wee ! could get 11000 or 12000 out of a front tire and about 2/3 of that on a rear.
I did 10000 miles this year and burned through two sets of tires. (Metlers)
and they are wearing out at the same rate front to rear.
That is incorrect but comes down mostly to riding style and tire pressure that people like to run.

I've personally ran more Shinko tires than I can count. 009 Raven Sport TOuring on a Suzuki Bandit, BMW F800ST, BMW R1150R, FJR1300, SV650, and FZ6. Great tires that I would routinely get between 9 and 12k miles out of a rear one. Even on the big porky touring bike. And they stuck well riding them tot he edge caused no drama.

I've also ran 011 Verge Sport Touring tire on a FJR1300 and FZ6 again great tires. I was worried about rain traction because they don't have a lot of tred void but this turned out to be a non issue. They got slightly less mileage between 8 and 10k out of these but they felt more "sporty" than the Ravens did.

Ran 705s on the Strom. Again great tire no issues and works great on a bike that sees mostly street use with a little bit of off road thrown in. I would get about 8k out of a rear and 12+ out of a front.

Currently running Shinko 804/805 big bike knobbies and really REALLY love these tires. At it's current wear rate I'm guessing at between 6 and 8 thousand miles out of the rear and MAYBE double that on the front not sure yet, I've mostly been watching the rear. They are great on the street still allowing me to ride at a spirited pace and have changed the way I ride off road.

My buddy used to run TKC80s front and rear on his Strom and switched to the 804/805 combo after hearing me rave about them and likes them more thant he TKC80s. ANd you can pick up a SET of 804/805s for the cost of ONE rear TKC 80.

Now with all this mileage talk it's going to vary wildly from person to person. The way you ride might eat tires I don't know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's an interesting read on this tire set. I just recently put on a new set of 705's and man, they howl when I am going down the road. It's not terrible, and its not something that bothers me, just very noticeable. Seems like the 712 might be the answer for my every day riding and commuting needs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just ordered a set of 712s , I got 10 k out of the stock rear, but since I ride pavenet and gravel roads I don't think I need the knobbies for now. I will advise when I get a mileage report. Put 3k on in the first 3 month of owning it and I really like the bike but the 2007 factory tires were the weakness.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
I've dragged pegs riding on the 705's . They feel fine at lean angles my brain doesn't like.
The 705's felt like they stuck better than a Heidenau K60.
The 705's have an odd lumpy feel at walking speeds, backing up, etc. But it goes way or you get used to it.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
What 712 front tire to buy 100 or 110?

Does the taller size fit on a Gen 2 650 without fender interference? It would be closer to the OEM, yes?

·
Registered
33 Posts
As I get ready to replace my tires on a newly bought 2013 650, I am split between these tires 705/712. I bought the bike for a LONG commute on state highways and interstate (140miles) that was killing my little 250's.

This would make the 712 a smart choice except that I have this image of trying to get my treestand on the back and going up a few gas well trails (rutted and smooth gravel, some dirt) and save me some walking this fall. This brings in the 705.

Input on whether to give the 712 a try and see or jump straight to the 705?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts