StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some opinions....

I have about 3200 miles on my '17 Gen 3 Wee, and a picked up a small-ish screw in my rear tire. It was pretty near the center of the tread, so I plugged it with a typical rope plug, and it seems to be holding just fine. However, I'm just not comfortable riding indefinitely on a plugged tire (more power to those of you who have no problem trusting a plugged tire...to each his own). So...

I'm planning to get a new tire to replace the plugged Bridgestone Battleax rear tire. Right now I'm leaning towards an inexpensive Shinko 712. I'm not too concerned about longevity, because I figure I'll replace the front and rear as a set when the front is used up. And I don't need a 50/50 or even a 90/10 tire because I don't have any immediate plans to do any off road riding

But I have some questions:

1. I believe the Shinko 712 is only available as a bias ply tire. Is it OK to run a bias ply rear and a radial front?

2. The Shinko is half the price of a Battleax or a Michelin PR4. But is there any reason I should stay away from it in this scenario?

Looking for some guidance. Thank in advance.

·
Registered
395 Posts

I have about 3200 miles on my '17 Gen 3 Wee, and a picked up a small-ish screw in my rear tire. It was pretty near the center of the tread, so I plugged it with a typical rope plug, and it seems to be holding just fine. However, I'm just not comfortable riding indefinitely on a plugged tire (more power to those of you who have no problem trusting a plugged tire...to each his own). So...

I'm planning to get a new tire to replace the plugged Bridgestone Battleax rear tire. Right now I'm leaning towards an inexpensive Shinko 712. I'm not too concerned about longevity, because I figure I'll replace the front and rear as a set when the front is used up. And I don't need a 50/50 or even a 90/10 tire because I don't have any immediate plans to do any off road riding

But I have some questions:

1. I believe the Shinko 712 is only available as a bias ply tire. Is it OK to run a bias ply rear and a radial front?

2. The Shinko is half the price of a Battleax or a Michelin PR4. But is there any reason I should stay away from it in this scenario?

I had the same thing with a nearly new rear tire. That was over 2500 miles ago. My rope plug is holding fine, never loses pressure,.... It was actually meant to be temporary until I could get a patch for the inside, but the darn thing just works great.. My riding is pretty much local, so I carry the patch kit, and inflator just in case. Gonna' need a tire soon, so my gamble worked out very well. I certainly don't advise others to do the same, and if I rode farther distances, no way I could justify it. BTW, I LOVE Shinko tires! Have used 'em for years on every bike I've owned. My Wee will have one soon. BTW, the one I plugged is a Metzler Tourance...... For such an expensive tire, $200 +?? seriously?? I HAD to get more miles on it.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to mix a bias ply with a radial, but that's just me. ;) I am a big Shinko fan, and the 712 is a damn good tire for the money.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a helluva good price. I have yet to find a shop in my area that will mount a tire purchased elsewhere, but I guess I need to keep looking.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That’s a helluva good price. I have yet to find a shop in my area that will mount a tire purchased elsewhere, but I guess I need to keep looking.

Thanks for the advice.
I've always changed my own. Maybe you have a buddy that would help you out. I've been riding for 45+ years, and have only paid to have ONE tire changed, a rear VFR. Being a single sided swingarm, I couldn't static balance, so I paid them to change AND balance, and they put the stupid balancing BB's in! Hell, I coulda' done that. I always use weights!! No offense to those that like the BB's, but I wasn't impressed at all with the results!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I replaced my batlax front with a Shinko 712 last spring/summer. I never intended it to be more than a rim protector while I looked for another uber deal on a batlax pair. The rear (my 2nd to this front) did not have all that much life left in it.

I was surprised. It was an excellent mate to the Bridgestone rear! I forgot about the BT's. I stopped considering the 705/805 alternative too.

My bike began this summer with a new rear 712. I have as much confidence in the Strom's grip as I did from the Bridgestone. And, I was very pleased with the Batlax' performance in "sporty" mode. The 712 is it's equal IMHO.

WORD OF CAUTION: do not mount a 110 712 on the front!

I did not pay attention to the size on the sidewall until I noticed the 712 smiling at me through a gap in the front fender rear center this spring.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WORD OF CAUTION: do not mount a 110 712 on the front!

I did not pay attention to the size on the sidewall until I noticed the 712 smiling at me through a gap in the front fender rear center this spring.
Say again? I'm not sure I understand this. The 110 is the correct size for the front, isn't it?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Say again? I'm not sure I understand this. The 110 is the correct size for the front, isn't it?
Incomplete info is the source of the puzzlement your experiencing. My fault. I'll try to redeem myself.

Yes. Mine deviates from OEM in aspect ratio only. It's a 110 90 instead of the 110 80 Bridgestone. I should have erred on the side of caution and gone with the 100 80 712.

It is truly amazing how flexible "sizes" are. Even within a single tire manufacturers range, you can find one model in a 130 that is narrower than the same mfg's different model 120. Needless to say, differences occur in height and width between a bridgestone and a shinko's interpretation of a 90

Too; consider that my strom is a 1st gen model wee. I have heard it said that the fender sits lower than successive iterations. May not be a problem for 2012's and up.

·
Registered
351 Posts

Maybe my opinion isn't worth a "plugged" nickle, but advice never has a cost...until you take it.

I would remove that tire from the rim, take it to a tire shop, have them remove the rope plug and replace it with an umbrella plug. I think you would get this advice from any industry employ that wasn't hampered by his employers fear of a liability suit.

On the other hand, if your tire wear is anything like mine, your plugged tire is probably about worn out anyhow. I don't think I've ever had a rear last past 5k. Not on any bike.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe my opinion isn't worth a "plugged" nickle, but advice never has a cost...until you take it.

I would remove that tire from the rim, take it to a tire shop, have them remove the rope plug and replace it with an umbrella plug. I think you would get this advice from any industry employ that wasn't hampered by his employers fear of a liability suit.

On the other hand, if your tire wear is anything like mine, your plugged tire is probably about worn out anyhow. I don't think I've ever had a rear last past 5k. Not on any bike.
On the contrary...I appreciate the advice. I tried to get a local shop to do an internal patch, but they refused. Liability, blah, blah, blah.

I already have a Shinko 712 on order as a replacement for the rear. At $65 shipped, it was almost a no-brainer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We really have turned into a nation of hand wringers.

Maybe a small independent bike shop or a small rural auto tire shop would still have the balls to risk repairing a puncture wound with an umbrella plug.

But, I think you'll be happy with the shinko.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had planned on doing an inside patch on mine, just never got around to it. And I'll need a tire soon anyhow. I'll be going for the 712 as well. Too bad Scott got the last one on sale at Motosport!! LMAO! Just kidding Scott! I can get one at Amazon for 73 shipped....that's close enough, unless I find a sale somewhere in the meantime. I've gotten a few tires at Chapparral (sp?) but their price was $93.....yikes! BTW, last time at Harbor Freight, they had a big box of umbrella plugs....pretty reasonable too. Actually, my rope plug has amazed me. I still check the pressure religiously, but it NEVER changes.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
As far as plugging goes, I've NEVER had either a rope or mushroom type plug fail before the tire was done. These were all on rears, never fronts. If it were a front we were dealing with, I would replace the tire. Rears, when they go flat, aren't as catastrophic. New plug, away you go.

All depends on your priorities.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I had planned on doing an inside patch on mine, just never got around to it. And I'll need a tire soon anyhow. I'll be going for the 712 as well. Too bad Scott got the last one on sale at Motosport!! LMAO! Just kidding Scott! I can get one at Amazon for 73 shipped....that's close enough, unless I find a sale somewhere in the meantime. I've gotten a few tires at Chapparral (sp?) but their price was $93.....yikes! BTW, last time at Harbor Freight, they had a big box of umbrella plugs....pretty reasonable too. Actually, my rope plug has amazed me. I still check the pressure religiously, but it NEVER changes.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/3794/Shinko-Motorcycle-Tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Pretty sure my buddy has a set of 712s with like 1k miles on them he wanted $50 for front and rear not sure what shipping would be but if somebody need something I'll ask him if he still wants them gone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts