StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a set of 705s for my wee. Looking forward to testing them out especially on gravel. Read some good reports and some indifferent ones about them but the price ($325 Aus) was very good for this neck of the woods. Any suggestions about best tyre pressure for them? Generally run 1 up with little or no luggage. I've heard about 35psi is about right!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought I'd mention this, but this is my first tyre change on my bike. Current tyres are TrailWings and to be honest I think they might be the original stock pair. My thinking behind this is, who the hell would put new TrailWings on? Anyway, the bike is at 26,000 kms and there is still some life in them particularly the front. I bought the bike at 9,000 and the tyres have definitely not been changed since then!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Well...

I'm on my 4th set, 5th in the spring. I like them, some don't. They perform very well for the kind of riding I do and have never caused me any anxious moments. They are a bit noisy and handle differently than the TW's but I am very happy with them and will continue to use them. They are the perfect tire for me. Others may have differing opinions but I use what makes me happy and care not what others think.

·
Registered
984 Posts
And...

I run the standard OEM pressures 33F/36R and I pay anywhere from $150 to $180 US dollars for a set from online stores but as I am now working for a place that sells tires I expect to do better with my employee discount. Huzzah!:yikes:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm on my 4th set, 5th in the spring. I like them, some don't. They perform very well for the kind of riding I do and have never caused me any anxious moments. They are a bit noisy and handle differently than the TW's but I am very happy with them and will continue to use them. They are the perfect tire for me. Others may have differing opinions but I use what makes me happy and care not what others think.
This......

·
Registered
326 Posts
705's

I run the standard OEM pressures 33F/36R and I pay anywhere from $150 to $180 US dollars for a set from online stores but as I am now working for a place that sells tires I expect to do better with my employee discount. Huzzah!:yikes:
33f / 36r

i get a bit of noise & a bit of vibration, butt, aint it a DS???

on my 2nd rear & still on my 1st front

wouldn't have bought a 2nd rear if i wasn't pleased w/ the 1st one:thumbup:

shiny side up

sw

·
Registered
242 Posts
How many miles are you getting out of the 705s?

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Oh yeah, and don't freak out during the tire break-in....you'll see (I've got the Full Bore branded shinkos). They do eventually relax and behave like a normal tire.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just put on my third rear. I run 40 psi and got 9k out of my last one. Still on my first front @17k with 70% tread left. Also run 40 psi on front. The only loss of traction i ever face is either in dirt or lots of oil on pavement. I easily will drag pegs without thinking about breaking loose.

·
Registered
984 Posts
This many...

How many miles are you getting out of the 705s?
I average 7500 on a rear and about twice that on the front but the front gets ugly towards the end of its life. I am an aggressive rider on crappy western NY and PA roads. The 705's take everything I am able to throw their way and don't complain much plus I'm really cheap so I avoid premium tires like the plague.:yesnod:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I average 7500 on a rear and about twice that on the front but the front gets ugly towards the end of its life. I am an aggressive rider on crappy western NY and PA roads. The 705's take everything I am able to throw their way and don't complain much plus I'm really cheap so I avoid premium tires like the plague.:yesnod:
What pressure you running? My concern down here is that it really does get as hot as hell in summer and the asphalt gets very warm indeed!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, got my new 705s on today. First impressions- they look bloody great. I think the chunky tread pattern gives the bike a much more rugged look. Only done about 20kms on them so far but they feel very very different to my old Trailwings. Much noisier and a fair bit of vibration which I imagine is down to aforementioned tread pattern. Seemed to grip well though and I didn't think the noise or vibration was unbearable. They'll just take a bit of getting used to instead of my super quiet tw's!
I will hopefully get them scrubbed in properly over the weekend!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick update on the Shinkos. Done 160kms on them so far and very impressed. Did some twisties and a bit of gravel today with Brian (exile730 on Advrider) who got Shinkos fitted to his GS1150 last week also. Stuck like glue on the twisties although none of us are peg scrapers, and massive improvement on the gravel compared with my old TrailWings. Can't fault them at all so far. Enjoying the Shinko Shuffle immensely! When I got the tyres fitted the shop had inflated them to around 30 psi in each and they felt a little squirmy. I upped it to 34 f and 36 r and they certainly seem happier and less noisy at that!

·
Registered
103 Posts
shinkos

I run 705s in spring and fall 33f-36r(to muddy at that time of year for off road) have 7000kms on this set rear 30% left front 60% left.I ride fairly aggressive. The shinko performs better for me than trail wings,tourance exp and non exp, Michelin anakee on rd and off. In the summer I ride a lot of off road and use a mitas e07.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just did a run of the trans-lab this past september on the shinko's. Overall a good tire if you aren't looking for overly aggressive bite on pavement. Ok in dirt and rather long wearing. The back was good for an estimated 6000 miles and the front nearly double that. I would use them again for such a trip

·
Registered
984 Posts
Good tires

I like em! Will continue to use them for both performance and economic reasons until something better comes along. I run the suggested OEM pressures 33F/36R and find these give me the best performance and wear characteristics. I have noticed the prices going up a bit lately but there are usually some pretty good sales and discounts available from the online stores and I can get them for dealer prices because I work for a tire shop - BONUS!!!!!! Did I mention I'm frugal?:green_lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts