StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put 705 radials on my '08 Wee. They feel very different and weird compared to my Trailwings. Initially resist , then fall into the turn. Not smooth transition side to side. Just put them on. 40lb rear, 36lb front. Anyone else have this experience. Never had a tire feel so different. Hope it improves with miles. Was looking forward to these, since I have had such good experience with Shinko street tires on my sport bikes. Thanks--Carl

·
Registered
252 Posts
They like a tad bit lower pressure than you're used to running. I found 38r/34f to work pretty well. I ran them a bit too high at first also.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The first corner is a bit of a shock, isn't it? You do get used to them pretty fast though; put a few days on them and you won't notice it anymore. Despite the fall-in they are very stable, just watch your speed in bends for a while until you get used to the changed handling.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is why I put the 705's on my bike right away, because I didn't want to get used to the Trailwings, which only had 2,500 miles on them and probably handled well on the pavement. The 705's are what I will learn to ride my Wee on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does one actually get to like the way they handle and want to use them again? they have such an unnatural feel in comparison to the Trailwings which made the Wee handle beautifully. Will ride um for a while before getting too upset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've put about 1000 miles on my 705's. A little unnerving at first. They handle very differently from Trailwings, they're loud and they introduced a lot of vibration. I ride a lot of e-way to/from work, and I was really disappointed at first. Considered ditching them right away. I also like to spend a Saturday or Sunday roaming the remote dirt roads around central Michigan. The first time I did that, I realized the value in these tires. I think they are way better in sand and gravel than Trailwings. Tremendous difference. So I think you just have to know that you're buying a more dirt-biased tire. If you never, or rarely, venture off pavement, I'd stay away from these tires.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I noticed the same thing, but you get used to it fast.

I'm on my third set, my WR wears them, and my wife's bike wears them too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
does one actually get to like the way they handle and want to use them again?
I ran the original TWs for about 3000km and didn't like them at all. Lots of sliding when riding hard and awful in gravel - they roll over the top and don't sink in and grip. I put on two sets of Conti Road Attacks after that; perfect for running hard in twisties and oddly enough, handle gravel fairly well. I put 705s on about a month and 2000km ago and find the speed and handling is on a par with the Contis when riding in 'sports' mode - no chicken strip on the Contis and about 1/4" on the 705s - and on gravel roads they are very sure-footed. They are also very grippy in the wet. For me they are THE tyre for the Wee - I love the feel and the handling and can't imagine ever putting anything else but 705s on after this set wears out. I was going to buy a DR650 for the gravel, but with the 705s the Wee is more than capable of doing the job, plus at 110+kmh on the highway they are as stable as rails. I used Yokohama sports tyres on my cars for years and they were great - their bike tyres look to be the same.

Oh, and 34F, 36R.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got the bias ply version on the front, $52 shipped from AMT. works well with a Kenda cruiser on the back. same tread pattern as anakee at a third of the cost.
For the roads I ride on around here, its the perfect tire. once you get used to the handling, it rocks. great in the wet and you don't feel those uneven strips anymore. only have a few hundred miles on them so far, so good. :hurray:

·
Registered
705 Posts
There is a tendency to run Skinko 705's at higher than normal tire pressures on the street. A lot has been written on here about this. Consider this...your old tires were probably worn in the centre making them flat in the centre. Your air pressure was probably low to mid 30's. Suddenly you're back riding on a new round tire that is very hard. Your experience was exactly the same as mine but I put it down to tire charactaristic combined with tire pressure and new tire profile.

I used Yokohama sports tyres on my cars for years and they were great - their bike tyres look to be the same.
+1 A008's!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dont know what happened, I changed nothing, but within 1 day, the 705s felt perfect to me. Now have 500 miles on them and they are seem better on the road than trailwings and I suspect I will like them off road. Let's see how they hold up. My confidence has been restored. Shinkos forever!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dont know what happened, I changed nothing, but within 1 day, the 705s felt perfect to me. Now have 500 miles on them and they are seem better on the road than trailwings and I suspect I will like them off road. Let's see how they hold up. My confidence has been restored. Shinkos forever!
Good to hear! I have two new ones ready to go on. You had me worried there. I have a pair on my KLR and really like them. Very stable.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I have 5K on my 705s, felt funny at 1st ,but after scrubing in they are fine. Looks like milage will about the same as Trailwings. I run 36 PSI both ends
I just got one on the front with a Tourance on the rear.

It felt like a big gyroscope on the end of the forks, maybe it's just that the previous tire was so worn down that I felt all this new mass there. Now it just seems like the new normal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, good to hear. I took my Wee out last weekend for the first time with the 705s on it and they felt pretty good. Rode on a couple of dirt/gravel roads and the bike felt very stable. It even rained a bit. I didn't push my speed as this was the first real ride I've taken on the bike and with the new tires. Rode about 75 miles. I think the 705s are going to break in nicely.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a fresh set. They were really resistive at first. But after about a 100 miles they losened up. Off road i do wish the front had a little more bite but the rear hooks up great. On the street they corner really well. I am not an agressive rider but i can see where im using the tread. The chicken strips are less than an inch wide and the bike has felt 100%stablethe whole time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the same bad reaction to the new 705's. I didn't like the feel of them at all, so after about 180 miles, I replaced them with Anakee's.

FOR SALE: Practically Brand New set of Shinko 705's

1 - 20 of 130 Posts