StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a multi-day ride coming up in less than a week and I decided the other day my stock Trailwing rear was not going to be up to the 1,000+ mile ride. Long story short, my only option for getting a new tire on in time for the trip was at a local independent shop that's done some work for me before. But the only rear they had in my size was a Shinko 705. Without another option, I decided to go with that rather than risk riding on a nearly bald tire.

Any one have any experience with the 705s?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have a multi-day ride coming up in less than a week and I decided the other day my stock Trailwing rear was not going to be up to the 1,000+ mile ride. Long story short, my only option for getting a new tire on in time for the trip was at a local independent shop that's done some work for me before. But the only rear they had in my size was a Shinko 705. Without another option, I decided to go with that rather than risk riding on a nearly bald tire.

Any one have any experience with the 705s?
I have. I really like them. They're cheap, they stick well on dry and wet pavement, and they do nicely on gravel roads. I don't have any experience with them in mud, but other who have say they aren't a good choice for that.

I do a lot of two-up loaded riding, and I probably average around 5000 miles on a rear tire.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My buddy's DL1000 has them when I rode it in December. These tires are dangerous on ice :)

I know many that use the Shinko 705 (f/r) and they like them and get the same mileage as more expensive tires.

I wouldn't have any worries using the 705 for anything other than icy mud.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Wow, you must not have googles Shinko 705.
There has been a scad of entries about the happy folks that use them. They can go 5-6K miles depending on your use and most of us feel they stick well enough to have very small chicken strips from the twisties and are adequate for the dirt.
Dangerous on ice, not kidding. I haven't found a normal motorcycle tire yet that was the bees knees on ice.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I only have a few hundred miles on my 705s (f & r), but am happy with the pavement and gravel performance so far. My local indie shop owner tried to talk me out of them and into a set of Dunlops at a considerably higher price. I don't remember the cost, just that it was much higher. Um, no.

If there is no comparable benefit to longevity and performance, I'll keep my money, thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I went through a couple on the rear of my k3 before switching to 805's. I still have a 705 on front that has outlasted 3 rear tires. Good on pavement and gravel. Tough to beat for the money.

·
Registered
685 Posts
5000km so far on my rear (705 radials), probably good for another 2000 km. (loaded up with camping gear)

Not the best on tar snakes. Predictable on gravel. Average (safe) in the wet on paved surfaces. Would not be fun in deep mud. Good all around when driving mostly pavement with the odd dirt / gravel patches.

I'd buy them again.

Reactions: DL1000 Pilot

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've run a couple of sets of 705s on my Vee. The best I got on my rear tire was 8,650 miles. The previous rear 705 lasted 5,927 mles. They seem to square off too easy but it seems to last a descent number of miles. You didn't put a front tire on, but the front will sing, and sing loudly. I just wore out a rear 705 and replaced it with Metzler Tourance. That rear 705 gave me the 8,650 miles. The front 705 had 8,650 miles on it too and the remaining tread was more than what the brand new Tourance front tire started with!! Shinkos seem to handle well. I did have them in mud once for an entire day and the tread stayed packed with mud rather than discarding it. Otherwise, they did OK off asphalt and on.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Further to my last, one key difference I noted with the 705s is they require more steering force to initiate a turn, then fall in quickly.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I don't get any better mileage out of a Battlewing, and that can cost up to twice the price of a Shinko.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm about to install my third rear 705. They're decent, reasonably cheap, last about 6k miles/10k km's for me.

The one thing to watch out for is the rate of wear. The tread is pretty deep and blocky, which is deceptive when it gets near the end of it's life. Left last weekend with about 3-4mm of tread remaining on the rear, 1400km's later I have about 0.5-1mm remaining.

I was expecting it that weekend, but the first time I wore through a 705 threw me off guard.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice to hear the generally positive reviews.

I actually was originally planning to swap out the TWs for more street-biased rubber over the winter, since I rarely take the bike off pavement. But the rear went off on me faster than I was expecting, and the family accountant only authorized a 1-tire budget at this time. I'm OK running different brand/model tires on F/R, but I didn't want to run a dual-sport on the front and a street on the rear.

Unfortunately, since I was purchasing through a shop, I didn't realize the price savings like I would have if I would have used my normal process (order online, pull the wheel myself, have a buddy swap the tires). I could have picked up a rear 705 online for $85; the shop charged me $125 for it.

Riding the bike home, I was initially concerned because I noticed a weird vibration. Then I realized I was feeling the tread of a fresh DS tire.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
That vibration is a characteristic of a Shinko, same with the weird "falling into turns" feeling. It feels pretty strong when you have a brand new set of tires on the bike, but after a day or so I don;t even notice it any more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts