StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing a ride with some cruiser buddies and we will be riding pavement the majority of the trip. I was thinking of putting Shinko 705's front and rear on my bike but I was hoping to take a day to myself for some off-road stuff and I wanted more bite in the front so I thought an 804 on the front instead. Anyone run this combination? I have run 805/804 in the past and didn't mind them but I was hoping for something with more pavement longevity but could handle some gravel.

·
Registered
278 Posts
While I'm not a big fan of mixing tread designs on a motorcycle, my unscientific guess is that the traction on pavement will be limited by the 804 front. The 705 rear should be able to handle any lean angle the front can dish out. Thinking I wouldn't leave it that way for the life of the tires, tho. For my money, I'd just stick to the 804/805 combo F/R. They'll hang with just about any DS tire out there on pavement. Wear and tire life will be lower than the 705s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back badjuju. I value your opinion. I am familiar with the 804 front on pavement as I have had a couple so I am comfortable with its characteristics. I am intrigued by the 705/804 combo though, and was just wondering if anyone had experience with it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Guess if you still think it's an interesting proposition, I'd at least stick to the bias ply version of the 705, to avoid mixing bias and radial construction. Even at that, I doubt the bike will explode in a ball of plasma....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes! I didn't see the thread going in this direction...Plasma explosions and Infinity gloves! Lol!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yikes! I didn't see the thread going in this direction...Plasma explosions and Infinity gloves! Lol!
Well, it's a tire thread...so the biggest surprise to me is that it took so long to get to the explosions part! :bom_tongue3:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'm with Perrazi...

Also, I've put a lot of miles with a TKC80 front and 705 rear, no problem. Pretty much the same as you're asking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's all I wanted to confirm. Thanks enumclaw and everyone else who contributed to this thread. Tire inquiries can be overwhelming.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I say go for it. I ran the 804/705 combo much of the last two years. I had been running both 705's before that, several sets. I will stick with the 804 front and will probably try an 805 at some point. I have thousands of miles of unpaved road on the 705 pair. They were fine. The 804 has felt better though. And with no discernable compromise on the road. My 705 fronts always seemed to cup young. The 804 is doing great so far. I have wondered if the 805 won't be a bit louder than the 705 rear. But I probably only wonder that because of how screaming loud my D606 was (different bike).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had the same experience ran two sets of 705's before going to the 804/805 and thought the exact same thing the 805 rear was better in all aspects for me. Ran a bunch of combos tkc80 and e07, 80 and 805, Torance and 805. For the difference off road and the lack of difference on road the 805 is my top pick for bang for buck rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback Bentwee and notacop. I have run 2 sets of 804/805's and they have been great off-road for the type of riding I do. The 805 is not great in mud and tends to have lateral slippage but other than that, great tires for the money. The 805 is not too loud. I do have ear plugs/low music when I ride though. They are a bit viby at low speed but that is to be expected. They are pretty good on-road too, just the 805 dies fairly quick if you are riding a lot of pavement...better than the TKC80 though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback madscrapper85! These tire threads are always a little crazy and sometimes you end up coming full circle on your decision. Lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
:new_shitsmiley:

It really depends on what motor oil you're using.

I have to add, after looking thru the smilies for a stirring the pot sort of thing, I realize there are way too many shooting gun smilies. Can we just pick 2 or 3 and delete the rest? There are so many, it makes finding anything else difficult.

·
Registered
278 Posts
….I realize there are way too many shooting gun smilies. Can we just pick 2 or 3 and delete the rest? There are so many, it makes finding anything else difficult.
Dude, this is 'MURICA, baby! You can never have too many shooting-gun smilies… :var_30:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts