StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In mid April I purchased and had two new front and rear Shinko 705 tires put on my 04 650. I have put exactly 2145 miles on the bike since then and need a new rear tire. First I picked up a nail, second the tread is worn to the wear bars, and third the rubber between the tread is as thin as an inner tube. I can take my pinky finger and push it down with almost no effort.
The front still looks like new, but the rear is toast.
These are my first and possibly last set of the 705’s. I’m just wondering if this is normal for These tires. They are cheap, but I expected a little more mileage from them. This is easily the worst mileage I’ve gotten from any rear tire I can remember. My Stratoliner ate rear tires, but I always got at least 4-5000 from the back tire.
Any suggestions for a better performing set of DS tires for my 650?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dang you must have some grinding roads. I put a set on in November. Put almost 10k on the rear before changing it just this week.
I dont run more than 35psi in them. Ran 28 for a few months. Mostly commuting, but I dont really ride much different to work than I do for fun.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
I've gotten 6K on the 705's 4K to 6k is kinda normal. Interesting the Fynlcut get so much better mileage on a lower pressure. But the road surface you frequent can be the cause of excessive wear.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Bicycle Tire Milage

Do you ride two up much, or loaded with gear?. Assuming you aren't doing burnouts in front of the tavern, I wonder if your unusually low tread wear is just a rare defective tire? that might explain the soft carcass.

·
Super Moderator
16,239 Posts
Not normal....and I have run many sets of these tires. What pressures are you running, and I recommend giving the Mitas E07 a try for you or the K60 if you want more mileage from a DS tire.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not normal. I've run multiple sets of 705s and typically get about 6000-7500 miles out of the set. Rear does normally go before the front, tho. My guess as to your situation? Either under-inflation, over-loading, or improper braking technique (using only the rear brake mostly). It's not likely that you're burning through a rear tire with overly enthusiastic use of the throttle...not on a 650, anyway.

I see your location is CA and I was gonna ask how much canyon carving that involved (which could easily explain high tire wear) but if that was the case, you'd have cooked the front tire as well.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Not normal from my personal experience. I got 10,000 miles out of my last rear Shinko 705. I use the radials. I think a lot of engine braking and rear brake only stopping would wear a tire out early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
My first rear 705 started cupping after about 4K miles, but still had plenty of thread. An MSF instructor had recommended I run it about 4psi less than recommended, but I think he was wrong. I am overweight and keep a lot of stuff in my panniers, but I never ride two up. So when replaced the rear, I decided to pressure it halfway between the recommended solo pressure and the two up pressure, which is about 6 psi more than the instructor recommended. It seems to be doing well. It is wearing faster than the front, but it is wearing evenly. I think I will probably go through three rears to one front if I keep using 705s.

·
Registered
228 Posts
On.my third set of 705's for the Strom
I get 6k out of the rears and can get allot more from the fronts
But I change them in sets anyway
After 6k on the front I develope cupping which I find normal

I just ordered some 804/5 combo which should be here this week

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just ordered some 804/5 combo which should be here this week
If you primarily ride pavement, I doubt you'll get the same mileage out of the 804/805s. I've burned thru 4 sets of the 705s and I'm on my second set of the 804/805s and I really like how versatile they are for both street and off-road, but find I'm changing them out by 4500-5000 miles. I got about the same mileage out of my 705s as you and they weren't paper thin when I changed them out--nor were the 80* series tires--but the tread blocks were getting wonky and feathered and aggressive cornering was getting a bit sketchy. The 80*s are very capable on the road as far as lean angle and I can easily scrape pegs when dry; they are NOT as sure footed as the 705s in the wet....which isn't that surprising for knobbies.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tire Choice

Any suggestions for a better performing set of DS tires for my 650?
I have been running a Heidenau K60 on the rear of the 1K (and past BMW's) for a long time and it stands up to the abuse in an admiral fashion. Teamed up with a TKC80 front and the bike is well planted. That being said, I got a great deal ($78) on a Shinko 805 rear and have been extremely happy with it too. Overloaded and mixed 2-track, rocky jeep trails and it is going strong. A number of my friends are running the 804/805 combo on their big KTM's and beemers and have nothing but good to say about them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My first Shinko 705 rear made nearly 9000 miles, though it was probably a good 500-1000 miles past when I should have replaced it. And I've never had a problem with the 705s' performance. I'm OK with that for an $80 tire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate everyone’s input and help. I apologize for the delay acknowledging the responses, I had to spend this weekend putting a new water pump and radiator in my son’s car.
I spoke with the shop where I bought the tire, took it in and received credit towards a new tire. I’ve decided to get another 705 since I have one in almost new condition on the front.
The guy who sold me the tire agreed that the tire may have been faulty to begin with.
If I can get at least 5k out of the new 705, I’ll be happy and that should get me through the summer riding season. After that I’ll go back to a pure street tire. There was a set of Pirelli tires where on the bike when I got it and I put 11,000 on those. I don’t know what they had on them when I bought the bike, but they did look fairly new. If I wanted to really push it I could have most likely squeezed another 1,000 or so miles out of the rear.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My last 705 front only went 4K on the DL1000. My last rear was okay, it lasted 5K in the SE, I get the same from a Tourance. I've run many Shinko 705's between the DR650 and DL1000, but the Vee eats them up fast on the front. The Battlewings have lasted the best for me, I say at least 8K, very little cupping on the front. I change them on the wear bars and the rears wear out on the edges usually. I ride curvy roads most of the time, no commuting now, all fun rides. The fronts wear very well even for a moderate corner carver like myself. 705's are not cheap enough for me, I get a better value from Battlewings. The front Battlewings actually perform better than expected, I don't ride anything more than dirt roads though. The 705's are great on the DR650 though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My 705 experience was a good one. 7k miles on each of 2 rears. The front was done (only because of cupping) when it was time to change the 2nd rear.

Rear with 6700 miles on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ran the 705's down through Central America, 2-up with a 30 pound dog and towing a trailer with our camping gear, almost 8k miles on the rear. I will be running the 805's on my South America ride, 2-up with kit. Hope I can get 5k miles.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts