StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got about 5,000 miles out of the tire on my 2012 DL1K. Most miles were 2-up. Is this typical tire life of this particular rear tire?

I am used to a LOT more mileage out of rear tires from my GoldWing experience, so this is new to me.

Helena, MT dealer got me for the full retail price of a 705 and full price to install on the bike. If I was at home, I would have ordered from Revzilla or Amazon and taken the wheel off, then to an independent shop. Total cost would have been half what I just paid. Suck it up, buttercup.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
That's about right for that tire riding two up. Mine lasted 6500 and I ride solo and that's the lowest mileage of any rear tire I've tried. Plus you have a 1000 so the extra power will make it wear out quicker. It's a good dual purpose tire for a good price but longevity isn't one of it's strengths.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Similar experience here. The rubber seems to melt away when doing highway miles loaded down.

On my 4k mile Colorado trip last summer, I was scared the tire wouldn't make it the full way after the first 1000 miles. Thankfully the wear seemed to slow down about 2/3 through the tread.

Finished with a couple mm of tread left on it. Haven't bought a pair since.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. My rear tire life appears to be typical. Next time, I'll choose a different tire. Probably a 100% road tire.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Thanks all. My rear tire life appears to be typical. Next time, I'll choose a different tire. Probably a 100% road tire.

Yup you live/ride where it is flat/hot and the pavement is very gritty.....eats tires.

·
Registered
458 Posts
7k miles each for 2 rears. 14k for front. All tires still had some life when removed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
10,000 miles on the front 705 are typical for me. As for the rear 705 on my '14 1000, I never get more than 3500 miles riding solo.
I'm not alone then. I'm @ 3k and its almost done.
I'm tire shopping now.
3500 should be about all for me then.
I don't think I run that hard :confused:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just to further substantiate what everyone else is saying, I put a 705 on my rear last year and I'm approaching the wear bar with about 4000 miles. Solo riding, mostly commuter miles, 2012 DL650, not heavily loaded down.

I too am looking at switching to a 100% road tire as its replacement.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Last count 20,000 on the front 705, 7,000 on the first rear,10,000 on the 2nd rear, changing out the 3rd rear early (4,500) to go to street tires. Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trails. Full report soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
The PO of my bike put 705s on it, saying that you go through two rears for each front. Had I not busted my arm, I would have needed to replace my rear tire by now while the front still has plenty of life. I ride mostly for commuting and not weighed down. I'm not sure what I'll do next.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup you live/ride where it is flat/hot and the pavement is very gritty.....eats tires.
Actually, I hate riding in Fla and do very little riding there. This year the bulk of my miles have been in UT, ID and MT. WY, CO, NM, and TX will be added before Sept.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Last count 20,000 on the front 705, 7,000 on the first rear,10,000 on the 2nd rear, changing out the 3rd rear early (4,500) to go to street tires. Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trails. Full report soon.
You might like the Pilots better, but I doubt you see any better mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts