StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched tires from Metzler Interstate to Shinko 705's 3,750 miles ago. It was the first time I've tried "budget" tires. I wanted to find out for myself if spending half the price for tires was really worth the savings.

Performance wise, I can't tell any difference. I don't expect to get the same longevity, but after 3,750 miles, it's hard to tell any wear at all. I'm easy on tires, so I expect to get plenty of miles from these Shinko's. The only problem is the whine between 40-50 mph actual. Because I wear earplugs, I don't notice the whine unless I listen for it. But it's there and I wish it weren't.

Here is my question. With the Metzlers, 6th gear was pretty useless until I reached 4,000 rpm's. The engine just didn't seem to like it. On the freeway, it was great, but on the 2 lane roads that I prefer -- not so good. In fact, I hardly ever used 6th gear on trips. With the Shinko's, as long as I can keep 3,500 rpms, the bike is happy. This makes 6th gear much more useful.

So, is this something most folks have encountered? Are there other tires that would be better in this regard? Or, am I just so happy to spend half the money for these tires that my mind (which at age 70 often plays tricks on me) is telling me something I want to hear.

Thanks, KorKoro

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
More aggressive tires equals more noise, same thing goes for cars/trucks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I noticed the same whine with 705’s around 40-50 mph. It wasn’t bad enough that I needed earplugs, but it was definitely there at the right speed.

My current Trailmax Mission are MUCH worse. I can’t ride above 40 mph without earplugs with those.

Value wise...I don’t think you can beat the Shinko 705. For what they are (budget tires that are capable of handling whatever riding condition most people are going to put the Vee and Wee through)...they’re good tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts