StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched tires from Metzler Interstate to Shinko 705's 3,750 miles ago. It was the first time I've tried "budget" tires. I wanted to find out for myself if spending half the price for tires was really worth the savings.

Performance wise, I can't tell any difference. I don't expect to get the same longevity, but after 3,750 miles, it's hard to tell any wear at all. I'm easy on tires, so I expect to get plenty of miles from these Shinko's. The only problem is the whine between 40-50 mph actual. Because I wear earplugs, I don't notice the whine unless I listen for it. But it's there and I wish it weren't.

Here is my question. With the Metzlers, 6th gear was pretty useless until I reached 4,000 rpm's. The engine just didn't seem to like it. On the freeway, it was great, but on the 2 lane roads that I prefer -- not so good. In fact, I hardly ever used 6th gear on trips. With the Shinko's, as long as I can keep 3,500 rpms, the bike is happy. This makes 6th gear much more useful.

So, is this something most folks have encountered? Are there other tires that would be better in this regard? Or, am I just so happy to spend half the money for these tires that my mind (which at age 70 often plays tricks on me) is telling me something I want to hear.

Thanks, KorKoro

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
282 Posts
I noticed the same whine with 705’s around 40-50 mph. It wasn’t bad enough that I needed earplugs, but it was definitely there at the right speed.

My current Trailmax Mission are MUCH worse. I can’t ride above 40 mph without earplugs with those.

Value wise...I don’t think you can beat the Shinko 705. For what they are (budget tires that are capable of handling whatever riding condition most people are going to put the Vee and Wee through)...they’re good tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put 705's on my bike as soon as I got it based on recommendations. Since my bike sat for 8 years I've been trying to decide if the new tires are making noise and vibration or my wheel bearings need to be replaced.
Thoughts anyone???

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
With 705's the howl was so loud at times from the front wheel, that I thought that the wheel bearings where shot. Ended up changing the front wheel bearings, howl still there. I then checked the stearing bearings, checked tire beading for tire to rim offset, reversed tire on rim and even tried different tire pressures. Eventually changed the tire brand. Noise gone. Live and learn. The 705's worked well off-road.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I put 705's on my bike as soon as I got it based on recommendations. Since my bike sat for 8 years I've been trying to decide if the new tires are making noise and vibration or my wheel bearings need to be replaced.
Thoughts anyone???
Its not likely the wheel bearings. Easy enough to check if you can get the wheels off.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I just replaced the OE Bridgestone Trail Wings at 5.5k rear and 6.5k Front. I replaced the rear first with another TW, then the front started howling around 6000. I went with a Bridgestone A41 on the front as about 90 percent of my riding is asphalt, with only the occasional fire road/ranch road. I also bought a set of the "on sale" Chapmoto Dunlop Trailsmarts and bagged and stored them. Thank you to the kind member who informed the Forum👍.
The TW's blocky tread appears more of a 80/20, like the Shinko. After a 120 mile "brisk" ride yesterday, the A41 front felt much more planted than the TW.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Those Dunlop Trailsmarts are great tires especially for the money. I bought 2 sets already and just ordered 2 more sets. One of my buddies got 2 sets for himself an another buddy bought 10 rears and 1 front :oops:.

·
Registered
464 Posts
KKORO -- While I like the 705s for price and durability, you identified the major weakness -- the noise. I found that only the front tire sings, not the rear. Between 35-45, it was an annoying sound. I figured that cars passing by could hear me -- it was that loud. LOL. So I use the 705 on the rear and not the front anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Run a pair of 804/805's, then you'll think your 705's are quiet as a mouse :p

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Not sure about the 3500rpm thing, but my front 705 howled from new to untill I took it off, and went through 2 rears. When I was ready for new tires, the only thing that kept me from the 705's was the howl.
For me it was between 45-50, above 50, no complaints.
Now living where I do, these hills have me at that speed lots.

I even called and talked to the shinko rep who rides some type of ADV bike and says he never noticed.
I pointed him to this forum and the 705 thread.

Reactions: booghotfoot

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
My buddy that rides a Harley said the 804/805's was all he could hear when I drove beside him on the highway... a HARLEY rider!

Good to hear about the 705. I have a pair of OEM BW's to wear through next, then I'm not sure. Probably the new Dunlop.

·
Administrator
17,726 Posts
Run a pair of 804/805's, then you'll think your 705's are quiet as a mouse :p
Hmmmm.....I personally thought the big blocks were both more quiet and handled better than the 705's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for all the input.
I'm glad to hear the 705s are known to be noisy and its not my bearings. With my bike being older, I was worried they were shot.
I don't mind the noisy tire knowing they are suppose to be that way. Looking forward to a little off-road.

I'm planning a trip to the Texas hill country, so I'm trying to run down all my bikes problems.
Now I can mark the noise off the list!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I bought my bike used and it came with Bridgestone Battle Wings. I thought they were fine until I rode on a stretch of grooved cement highway -- the front felt like it was floating all over the place. So I switched to the Shinko 705s, which I've run since. about 75% of my mileage is straight-line commuting, and I get about 5k-7k on the rear before it needs replacing. I'm at 14k on the front, and it's still probably good for at least the remainder of my riding season.

I've noticed the front tire howl, which I sometimes think might be amplified by my '12 Wee's front fender. But I only hear it if I'm actively listening for it; otherwise, it just fades into the other background riding noise. I do wear noise-canceling earphones while riding, so that helps.

Other than the shorter life-span of the rears, I find it hard to justify purchasing any other type of tire for my bike. A great value-for-money option...just like the Strom. (y)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I honestly can't imagine why anyone cares that their motorcycle tires are noisy. To me, it seems as irrelevant as their flavor.

Then again, maybe a tangerine front paired with a vanilla rear would leave a nice dreamcicle trail or something.

Aren't you wearing ear plugs? Or are that many people still just riding around nuking your ears?

I have noticed a detectable difference in rolling resistance with more "dirty" tires. On my rather underpowered KLR650, I have some very knobbly tires and they make a noticeable difference in get up and go on the highway. You might also notice a wee tad of vibration, especially at low speed. Perfectly expected and reasonable.

On the Vee, I haven't tried anything knobbier than the 705, and I can't say I noticed any difference in rolling resistance. Then again, it has roughly three times the power.

I've also noticed that the Shinko 705 has a somewhat different profile and feel than most other tire options. Not better or worse, but it is a different feel and takes a bit of getting used to. I mostly lean toward street tires on the Vee anyway, and most of these feel very similar.

Reactions: SuperG

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Descriptions like "noisy" can be so subjective that they're meaningless. At this point I've put at least 50,000 miles on Shinko 705's, on both the V-Strom and the heavier Super Tenere, and wouldn't describe any of them as howling or even unreasonably loud. Others might describe them as too loud because, to them, they are. The only objective standard would be a decible meter and a vibration sensor, and even then, it would simply come down to your tolerance for whatever noise and vibration they do make. One good thing about a 705 is that, if you hate them, you aren't faced with the sad fact that you just dumped $300 plus into a set of tires you don't like. At about $170 for a set, it doesn't feel like an unreasonable waste if you take them off before the end of their lifespan and find something different. They aren't as smooth as something like a Bridgestone Battlewing, but I've ridden both and I prefer the Shinko.

My experience with the front has been that on several occasions it's cupped pretty badly at around the 8000 mile mark, and at that point mine did start to vibrate more and get a little more noisy. Not unbearable so, just more noticeable than a Shinko that wasn't cupped.

As Greywolf said in the past, the solution to most noises a bike makes are earplugs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've found that if I put 40psi in both front and back, the noise is diminished, but still there. I wear earplugs without fail. If I didn't, I would not have kept the 705's no matter the loss of money. It was that loud without the earplugs.

I was hoping to get 8,000 miles out of the back and I think I'll get there. I think at $160 a set they are as good a deal that's out there. Of course, the Dunlap Trailsmarts for $130 a set was the best deal around.

KorKoro

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ugh! How did I miss out on the Trailsmart deal? I like my 705s, but I'm always open to a good bargain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts