StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to search this site but am not finding the exact info I am looking for. I am looking at buying Shinko 705 tires (front and rear) for my Vee. I've decided on the radial rear, but what is the difference, if any, between radial and bias on the front? There is about a $40-$50 price difference, and I wanted to know if there is any performance difference...

Thank you in advance for any info
Nick:confused:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Radial all the way........Check Pinwall cycles on Fleabay , got mine for 170.00 a set Shipped. I've never "mixed" tires , so I can't speak from experience. I can tell a big difference in R vs. B on truck tires though.........

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Earlier Shinko 705 Bias had problems with "delaminating" or "chunking"......this is when they were first introduced. Since going to the radial, most, if not all, of those problems have gone away (there might be a few sporatic cases). I didn't realize the bias models were still available........check the manufacture date if so??

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Earlier Shinko 705 Bias had problems with "delaminating" or "chunking"......this is when they were first introduced. Since going to the radial, most, if not all, of those problems have gone away (there might be a few sporatic cases). I didn't realize the bias models were still available........check the manufacture date if so??
My rear radial did this 2 years ago with about 3500 miles on it. Pictures are here in at least one thread. I heard about other people whose radial got bit, both here and on other forums.

If you do go with the Shinko brand, just keep a close eye on them for small cracks around the blocks -- frequently. Other than that, I liked the tires.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
We know that the Full Bore tires are very similar--probably the same molds from the same factory. Do the perform better than the Shinko?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
No the Fullbore tires perform no different. They have the funky handling the same feel all the way around.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently mounted Full Bores, probably have 200 miles on them, so I can't really say. I got about 4000 miles from the rear Shinko. Most of these miles were fully loaded highway miles.

Do I like the Full Bores? I can't say yet. The rear felt and handled exactly like a Shinko, but when I mounted the front tire I got the classic shinko 45mph roar and the "dip" feeling when cornering. Both issues have lessened with miles and I'm getting use to the "dip". There is also a slight handle bar wobble with high speed acceleration on curves that made me pucker a little the first time.

Will I buy them again. Maybe, but doubtful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone ridden on a sandy road with them? This is my main reason for looking at these tires because I live about a mile down a sandy road and right now its getting a little bit squirmy

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Strom itself just doesn't like sand. Too much weight. I did have luck in (greatly) improving the feel and traction on sand by airing down but if you are commuting this may not be an option for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
95% of my riding is street for now, I am new to the area and have not had a chance to explore off road yet...when I get the shinkos that will change:hurray:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'd also like to add my non scientific point of data.

I got back about two weeks ago from a 5000 mile loop of the western area of the US riding to Sturgis. All street until I got around Provo Utah and spent an hour riding around on atv trails. But the tires had no issues. No chunking or delamination.

Even in two days of desert pavement blasting at 80 MPH with ambient temps over 100.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts