StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new set of trghe Shinko 705's on my Wee and can now make an accurate report on the performance, quality and tread life. First, I wuill say that the tires look very good on the V Strom. The tread in very deep and appears to be a higher milage adventure tire. On the road it feels really good, great cornering stability. Off road, on dirt or gravel, it also feels great with minimal spinning.
Now, the bad part. I couldnt even squeeze out 5k from the rear. the front is practicaly new still. There are many reports of the tires cracking badly and/or chunking. After about 1500 miles, I noticed there were cracks in the rubber around all of the tread blocks. This really doesn't bother me since I realize I would have to replace it very soon because of the unusualy fast wear rate. I ride 90% on rode with a pillion 25% of the time. When the tire was new, it was very impressive...but that lasted for a whole 6 weeks. At 3k miles of wear, I knew it wouldn't last much longer.
I hope this helps anyone who may be considering the tire for their bike. Overall, its a good looking tire that grips well on and off road but that lasts about 5k mileas. I guess you get what you pay for. I just ordered a Bridgestonbe BW-502E which is the OEM Yamaha Super tenere tire. The "E" stands for heavy load which should be great help considering i have a pillion alot of times and will have ahve the luggage fully loaded from time to time. My report on the BW-502 will be coming soon.....

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've been getting pretty good mileage out of the rear Battle Wings, up to 7500. Couldn't get 5,000 with most of the other tires I've tried. Still thinking about the Shinkos for a cold weather tire.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I couldnt even squeeze out 5k from the rear. the front is practicaly new still
Others have reported similar tire life. Some retailer should package one front with two rears, or just order them that way.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Pretty sure there are at least 2 other 705 threads so......

·
Registered
969 Posts
Not defending any tire here but consider the bad mileage was used in Texas and two up while the other poster is from Minnesota. Tire wear is extremely difficult to gauge do to the amount of variables involved.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The Minnesota guy (me) weighs enough that I am two up all the time. I'm also an aggressive rider and ride a lot of crappy tar roads and gravel. Hard on tires. That is why I wouldn't use a TKC on the rear unless I was going on a trip that was all rock, gravel or dirt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened with my rear tire. Some say that this was because it was an older crossply tire. Have now got a radial version which will hopefully last longer than the 10k I got from that crossply...

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Pretty sure there are at least 2 other 705 threads so......
Using the cute little Google Search Dialog box up top, I typed in "Shinko 705".

After counting up 250 separate posts on the topic, I am developing the opinion that a moderator should open up a "The Big Shinko Tire Thread", just as was done for motor oil, wind buffeting, and tires in general.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
After counting up 250 separate posts on the topic, I am developing the opinion that a moderator should open up a "The Big Shinko Tire Thread", just as was done for motor oil, wind buffeting, and tires in general.
Motion seconded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts