StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SHINKO RADIAL 705 Delamination

These are radials!

Purchased June 25, 2011. This tire has between 3,000 and 4,000 miles on it. I keep 41 PSI in it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
This isn't the new fangled radial, is it? after my experience with their bias-ply 705 i swore of Shinko.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That is not good! :yikes:

I changed out my Bias Ply just before it came apart. I'll stick with another tire.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Is the pressure spec for the radials really that high?
If you want decent mileage from them, yes.

I'm on my 7th rear radial tire and keep them 38-42 psi. Never had any type of unusual wear pattern on them, much less delamination - but I've never run shitkos.

My front radials eventually scallop/dish at some point. I pump them up to ~50 psi for a while to reverse/reduce it. Never had any of them delaminate though. Fronts will last ~20k while the rears last ~7.5K, bout a 3-1 ratio. I keep the front at 36-40 psi.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the pressure spec for the radials really that high?
The tire pressure spec is set by the vehicle manufacturer and is on a name plate on the frame rail, although people will argue about this.

2007 DL650A

41PSI cold rear
33PSI cold front

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The tire pressure spec is set by the vehicle manufacturer and is on a name plate on the frame rail, although people will argue about this.

2007 DL650A

41PSI cold rear
33PSI cold front
you won't get any arguement from me.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Smart people won't. :thumbup: The pressures stamped on the tire are maximums. They are not recommendations for any particular vehicle or load.

As to the Shinkos, I've never been comfortable with their extremely low price, and now I feel sort of vindicated ... tires just aren't a place to cheap out.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Tom,
Shinko's U.S. web site says that warranty claims must be processed through the dealer you bought the tire from. The Shinko importer & distributor in the U.S. is Western Powersports, 208-376-8400. If you contact one or both, please let us all know what they tell you.

Shinko Tires
Western Power Sports - Main Product Page

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tom,
Shinko's U.S. web site says that warranty claims must be processed through the dealer you bought the tire from. The Shinko importer & distributor in the U.S. is Western Powersports, 208-376-8400. If you contact one or both, please let us all know what they tell you.

Shinko Tires
Western Power Sports - Main Product Page
Thanks for that. Motorcycle Superstore wants it back and they will process the claim. I pay shipping.

I also did some casual digging on ADV and there are others out there with delaminations of the radials. It's too bad, really, I love the way they ride in wet or dry, dirt or pavement.

At this point, I'm not interested in a replacement tire from them, but would be willing to try again at some future date. This came on rather quickly, there was not much warning, such as visible cracks. I haven't pulled the wheel off the bike yet, but it looks like 25% of the tire is ready to peel right off like a retread. :yikes:

I do have a Tourance here and will be going back to them for now.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Thanks for that. I was going to call Motorcycle Superstore and I think you just saved me a step.

I also did some casual digging on ADV and there are others out there with delaminations of the radials. It's too bad, really, I love the way they ride in wet or dry, dirt or pavement.

At this point, I'm not interested in a replacement tire from them, but would be willing to try again at some future date. This came on rather quickly, there was not much warning, such as visible cracks. I haven't pulled the wheel off the bike yet, but it looks like 25% of the tire is ready to peel right off like a retread. :yikes:

I do have a Tourance here and will be going back to them for now.
still need to go through the Superstore. sent my biasply 705 back to them. they'll give you an RMA and it goes back to coporate in TN. don't remember if they reimbursed shipping.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My rear JUST started to delam, nothing like what you show, but little breaks starting to show. I had four spots on the rear tire, with the largest about 1/2 inch long. The tread was worn to within 1/8 in the middle so it was time for replace anyway. I got about 7 to 8,000 miles out of it.

I still like the way it handles in wet and on the road, and I have to say these didn't let me down on the rocks and mud. I got my money's worth out of them and replaced the rear with another Shinko.

What's the theory about the delam problem? Blocks too big and heavy?

I hope they solve it soon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts