StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my repost from advrider

I have said I do not like Shinko 705, not for nothing.

Both, the front one, bias, and the rear one, radial, started to disintegrate. Cracks of different sizes and depth are surrounding every thread block.

What is, if any, the procedure to get compensation? I know there is something in states, but in Canada? I have called to the shop, they said they will consult with the distributor in states. Nothing yet.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Cracks of different sizes and depth are surrounding every thread block.
Stick up some pics if you can. Are the cracks on the radial hairline cracks or large? Big block tyres will often get hairline cracks around the edges of the blocks from movement, and that is normal. Anything more than a hairline and you have problems though. I check my Shinko radials every couple of days and they are fine so far after 3500km of gravel, twisties and some highway.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Western Power Sports in Boise, Idaho, is the U.S. importer and distributor. Try giving them a call: 208-376-8400, or email: [email protected]

They're going to tell you that you have to work through the dealer you bought the tires from, so ask them how to get the dealer into action.

Please let us all know what response you get.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you PTRider, I will ask them and let you know.

If anybody is curious what happens to some of them the pictures are all over the net, mine are not different.
Western Power Sports in Boise, Idaho, is the U.S. importer and distributor. Try giving them a call: 208-376-8400, or email: [email protected]

They're going to tell you that you have to work through the dealer you bought the tires from, so ask them how to get the dealer into action.

Please let us all know what response you get.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Western is getting much less tolerant of 705 warranty claims. I'd be interested to know what they do.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If anybody is curious what happens to some of them the pictures are all over the net, mine are not different.
That's not good then. I've seen the bias failures, but none on the radials so far. Will have to keep a closer eye on mine, though I'm using them mainly on gravel roads and they have been run at 32F/34R since new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't buy these! Horrible tire, with more than 3 mm of thread left the rear radial one started to crack... Bought a ME880 to replace it, should've got this one to begin with.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Don't buy these! Horrible tire, with more than 3 mm of thread left the rear radial one started to crack... Bought a ME880 to replace it, should've got this one to begin with.
Got any pics to prove it? Fishing season is closed here so no trolling allowed.

Oh, and it's TREAD.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I'll trust my personal, positive experience with the Shinko 705 x the last 50,000 - 60,000 miles, on 3 bikes in my garage; over a guy with ... 3 posts.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm on my 2nd front and 3rd rear with the 705's (2 were the old bias, and 2 have been the radial version) and I've not had ANY problems with any of them. Yea, the rear develops small "cracks" at the base of the tread, but they never chunk off or further separate. But hey, its a fairly aggressive tread design, and although i do ride a lot of dirt and gravel, I also do 90+ on the slab on a regular basis. So for a 60/40 tire, that's gonna happen. I plan to buy another 705 for the rear when this one is toast. They aren't the longest lasting tire I've ever ran, but for the money, I think they're hard to beat. I can still get 2 of them for the price of 1 Tourance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Had the exact same issue with my front and rear bias - I got radial replacements and have had zero issues.......

The front started coming apart at 75 on the freeway - that was kinda scary. Having said that, the radial replacements have been excellent - no issues.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow, your front is cupping terribly! I have a set of the radials in the garage awaiting the day to come that I need to replace what is on the bike now. Been running them on the KLR as well and have not has this issue. I'm wondering if there were some batch production issues? Many of us use them with no problems, and some folks scream from the mountain tops about how bad they are. So far I love them for the value they afford my limited budget!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I just put a set on my Wee a couple of weeks ago. I do like them so far. Will be watching them though now that we have someone saying that they had problems with a radial 705.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow, your front is cupping terribly! I have a set of the radials in the garage awaiting the day to come that I need to replace what is on the bike now. Been running them on the KLR as well and have not has this issue. I'm wondering if there were some batch production issues? Many of us use them with no problems, and some folks scream from the mountain tops about how bad they are. So far I love them for the value they afford my limited budget!
The rest of the tread isnt nearly as bad with the cupping. The cupping is actually where the tread seperated from the inner belts.....:shocked:

·
Registered
860 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had the same thing thing happen to my front bias Shinko.I have been keeping a close eye on it and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.However it will be coming off soon and will be replaced with a TKC-80(for my trip to Labrador) and it won't be going back on.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/38430-shinko-705-a-post714776.html#post714776
Well here is the same tire 7 days later with about 1000 more kilometres on it.It's coming off tomorrow.Not sure if I want to try the radials yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
Maybe tied to road surface, air pressure, type of driving, don't know. Rear TKC is about due for replacement (app 4500 mi), hasn't shown any cracking. :beatnik:
I'm pretty easy on tires, my last set of TKC's lasted me 14k and 12k miles front and rear on the 650. Must be the dry Socal air that makes mine crack. I couldn't justify another set of TKC's so I'm giving the radial 705's a go.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts