StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve been advised to get a Shindengen to replace my Reg/Rec on my 2009 DL650A. Having trouble knowing which one to get. Anyone know which one I need? And where to find?

Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Roadcycle has it all. visit the
ir site.
Highly recomended!!!

Reactions: dmfdmf

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You want a Shindengen SH775AA or SH847AA. Both are series type that spare the stator by disconnecting the stator circuit (series type) versus grounding the stator circuit (shunt type) to control voltage/charging. The SH775 is rated for 35 amps while the SH847 is 50 amps. The 'Strom stator output is 30A max so I think the SH847 is overkill. It also is much larger than the SH775 which causes fitment issues especially at the location of the OEM R/R.

One caveat is that you don't want to upgrade to a series R/R unless your stator is fairly new (less than 10-15K miles?). These permanent magnet generators have no way to control the power output like an alternator so it is always outputing 100% power for a given RPM. The shunt R/R just shorts out the stator to dump unneeded power which makes them run hot and degrades the insulation which is what ultimately leads to stator failure. The series R/R electronically "disconnects" the stator but instead of a current spike (and heat) it causes a voltage spike which, if applied to a used stator with degraded insulation, will cause a short. New stators don't seem to be impacted by this as the effects are cumulative.

In any case, use the advance search for a variety of search terms related to your project. This was a hot topic back in the day when series R/R first became affordable and there are many great posts explaining all the details. You don't need to be an EE to understand but you should do some background research before proceeding.

Also, I have an SH775 available for sale on the advrider site referenced here.
SH775 Series R/R 35A with Triumph Link

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You want a Shindengen SH775AA or SH847AA. Both are series type that spare the stator by disconnecting the stator circuit (series type) versus grounding the stator circuit (shunt type) to control voltage/charging. The SH775 is rated for 35 amps while the SH847 is 50 amps. The 'Strom stator output is 30A max so I think the SH847 is overkill. It also is much larger than the SH775 which causes fitment issues especially at the location of the OEM R/R.

One caveat is that you don't want to upgrade to a series R/R unless your stator is fairly new (less than 10-15K miles?). These permanent magnet generators have no way to control the power output like an alternator so it is always outputing 100% power for a given RPM. The shunt R/R just shorts out the stator to dump unneeded power which makes them run hot and degrades the insulation which is what ultimately leads to stator failure. The series R/R electronically "disconnects" the stator but instead of a current spike (and heat) it causes a voltage spike which, if applied to a used stator with degraded insulation, will cause a short. New stators don't seem to be impacted by this as the effects are cumulative.

In any case, use the advance search for a variety of search terms related to your project. This was a hot topic back in the day when series R/R first became affordable and there are many great posts explaining all the details. You don't need to be an EE to understand but you should do some background research before proceeding.

Also, I have an SH775 available for sale on the advrider site referenced here.
SH775 Series R/R 35A with Triumph Link
Thank you for your great reply!
I had read about shunt versus series and that was a great synopsis.
My friend had recommended the SH775 so that is good confirmation.
I had also read that the SH847 is the newest R/R to come from Shindengen. I appreciate you pointing out it is likely overkill and there may be fitment issues.
I am putting in a new stator too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your great reply!
I had read about shunt versus series and that was a great synopsis.
My friend had recommended the SH775 so that is good confirmation.
I had also read that the SH847 is the newest R/R to come from Shindengen. I appreciate you pointing out it is likely overkill and there may be fitment issues.
I am putting in a new stator too.
Also, I’m interested in buying your R/R. Is there a way to send me a private message so we can discuss?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Also, I’m interested in buying your R/R. Is there a way to send me a private message so we can discuss?
I also have an extra on the shelf if that falls through for you.
RoadsterCycle has the wiring harness upgrades & mounting plates available to make it relitvly seamless install.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The SH847 is the one you want. I had the SH775 and it ran at 160F. Sold it and ordered the SH847 from partszilla, ~$150, oem pn 32800-31J00. Fits in the same spot and runs much cooler. The 2014 and newer DL1000s come with them.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I seem to recall a rumour that the SH775 was not switching fast enough, causing overvoltage spikes at 9500+ RPM. Don't know if that was ever confirmed or not. You may want to investigate.
Not a rumor but only a problem for bikes that live at +10,000 RPM. 'Strom redline is 10K so a brief spike into that range isn't a problem. Many riders have used the SH775 on the 'Stroms without issue. Also, if anyone is interested in this upgrade be sure to do an advanced search on this site because this topic was beat to death years ago when Series R/Rs and the SH775 and SH847 became affordable. There is also a great article on TriumphRat site regarding series -v- shunt, charging system & etc.

·
Registered
2014 DL650A V-Strom, 2006 KLR 650
103 Posts
Here is my brief write-up on my Shindingen 847AA installation. It is still running great and the bike gets about 60 mpg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my brief write-up on my Shindingen 847AA installation. It is still running great and the bike gets about 60 mpg.

Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts