StromTrooper banner

shifting issues

1749 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  khager
hey guys new to this forum just bought a brand new 2011 vstrom 650 noticed a couple things with shifting that were quite concering. The first thing is when shiting to 1st from neutral sometimes you here the slight click of engagement which to me is normal and expected, then other times i shift see the neutral light go out but no noise or anything takes places like it dosnt fully engage. sometimes i get the slight click sound and the positive feel of 1st other times it feels as if it goes but not all the way, but when i let the clutch out its always pulls as normal. My second issue is between 5th and 6th there is what i would consider a false neutral. i have to be sure to shift alittle harder than i would expect to ensure proper engagement. one last thing was i noticed great difficulty getting back down through the gears from a stand still if i dont start down shifting before a complete stop it takes a ridiculous amount of back and forth to get to 1st. any help or helpful comments on this issue would be apprecitated. anyone else have this issue?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
My k4 wee does the exact same thing, I just thought it was the nature of the beast and learned to live with it. I have read on the site that different oil weight makes a difference.

· Premium Member
413 Posts
This is normal for the Wee. When I first got mine I would hit that false neutral between 5th and 6th all the time. Now it is very rare. Don't know if its the transmission getting broke-in or I'm just shifting better. But it should go away with time and miles. The fist gear thing is normal and mine does the same thing even after 13K miles. Don't worry about it.

As for the downshifting here is a quote from Greywolf in another thread about the same issue.

Bike gearboxes are constant mesh, sequential shifting. The transmission needs to be moving to allow proper gear selection except neutral and first and, sometimes, even then. Always get to first or neutral before you are stopped. If hung up in a gear, feathering the clutch to get a little tranny movement is the proper method to get past the hang up.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
77 Posts
The downshifting part is normal for just about every bike I have ever had. You need to learn to downshift while slowing down. If you have to make a panic stop (as I have) and end up stopped in 6th gear then you just have to go down 1 gear at a time and slightly release the clutch in each gear and rock the bike bit.

Everything you describe (except the false neutral) sounds totally normal for pretty much every bike I have owned. (except the Old Harleys which you shift with your thigh muscle instead on your ankle.)

Put a few miles on it and then change the oil.

I have had 3 Valkyries and each would tell you exactly when to change the oil by how they shifted.

· Registered
1,596 Posts
This is normal for the Wee. When I first got mine I would hit that false neutral between 5th and 6th all the time. Now it is very rare. Don't know if its the transmission getting broke-in or I'm just shifting better. But it should go away with time and miles. The fist gear thing is normal and mine does the same thing even after 13K miles. Don't worry about it.

As for the downshifting here is a quote from Greywolf in another thread about the same issue.

Hope this helps.
What he said++:thumbup: Wait till you have a 1000m on it and then get the clutch adjusted as per the service manual. If you don't have a service manual, that could be your first farkle:mrgreen:.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help, makes me feel alittle better i am an experienced rider but, this is my first brand new motorcycle so i tend to be alittle more concerned with things like this i owned an 81 gs650g for years and that thing shifted like a pro everytime i also currently own an 81 yamaha xs 1100 never have problems with down shifting at a stand still with that either i guess only time will tell and i am looking into oil choices alittle more once again thanks for the info!

· Registered
3,779 Posts
Totally normal.

Be more "brutal" when shifting, and shift faster (clutch and shift simultaneously and rapidly).

Edit, as far as downshifting, you pretty much have to do it gear by gear as you decelerate.

· Registered
1,046 Posts

Hope this helps.

Same here, I used to hit it all the time when I first got mine (new), now I can't remember the last time I hit it. Also mine acts the same sometimes going to first, and I have 50K miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.