StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

New here but I have ridden a Harley Sportster for the past decade.

I picked up my new bike last Saturday and already have 150 miles on it.

Its a great bike but i noticed one peculiar issue. It seems that randomly the bike does not like to shift from its current gear.

Example 1. Shifting down to a stop, engaging and disengaging the clutch with every gear, some times the bike gets hung on a gear and refuses to shift down, disengaging and reengaging the cutch will allow it to shift again.
Example 2. Panic stop, when a vehicle stopped quickly in front of me while i was going about 50 in 6th, I engaged both brakes and clutch and shifted down to first, only to look down and see that the bike only got to 4th gear.
Example 3. Coming to a stop, while shifting from 2nd to 1st the bike finds true neutral like its an actual gear and then doesn't want to go into first (still rolling), this is a little concerning because i want to be in first in case i need to move out of the way of an inattentive driver. (on my sportster i can't remember a time the bike shifted from 2nd to N instead of first)
Example 4: Shifting up through gears, i pull the clutch in, click up on the shifter, clutch out, only to be jarred because the bike didn't actually shift up, jolting back up to the higher RPMs of the previous gear.

I also took a video (i will post shortly) showing the bikes refusal to shift down in the driveway (it actually shifted down without me hitting the shifter about 2 seconds after the video cut). Admittingly, this doesn't reproduce the issue exactly because I'm not rolling, and its a higher gear, but i can't really video this phenomenon a different way, so please forgive me. Link:

Originally i thought this might be due to clutch cable stretch and i went back to the dealer and we readjusted it, it helped someone but all issues still remain.

Any thoughts on what this can be? Is there a shifter solenoid or something that may be causing this type of issue?

Thanks,
Miller

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello all,

New here but I have ridden a Harley Sportster for the past decade.

I picked up my new bike last Saturday and already have 150 miles on it.

Its a great bike but i noticed one peculiar issue. It seems that randomly the bike does not like to shift from its current gear.

Example 1. Shifting down to a stop, engaging and disengaging the clutch with every gear, some times the bike gets hung on a gear and refuses to shift down, disengaging and reengaging the cutch will allow it to shift again.
Example 2. Panic stop, when a vehicle stopped quickly in front of me while i was going about 50 in 6th, I engaged both brakes and clutch and shifted down to first, only to look down and see that the bike only got to 4th gear.
Example 3. Coming to a stop, while shifting from 2nd to 1st the bike finds true neutral like its an actual gear and then doesn't want to go into first (still rolling), this is a little concerning because i want to be in first in case i need to move out of the way of an inattentive driver. (on my sportster i can't remember a time the bike shifted from 2nd to N instead of first)
Example 4: Shifting up through gears, i pull the clutch in, click up on the shifter, clutch out, only to be jarred because the bike didn't actually shift up, jolting back up to the higher RPMs of the previous gear.

I also took a video (i will post shortly) showing the bikes refusal to shift down in the driveway (it actually shifted down without me hitting the shifter about 2 seconds after the video cut). Admittingly, this doesn't reproduce the issue exactly because I'm not rolling, and its a higher gear, but i can't really video this phenomenon a different way, so please forgive me. Link:

Originally i thought this might be due to clutch cable stretch and i went back to the dealer and we readjusted it, it helped someone but all issues still remain.

Any thoughts on what this can be? Is there a shifter solenoid or something that may be causing this type of issue?

Thanks,
Miller
I have the same bike with no issues. Still under warranty take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Doesn't sound at all like my 2017 I bought new.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I think you are just needing to getting used to a very different gearbox that is also very new and still shifts a little reluctantly. It will loosen up soon. Shifting a little quicker and with a little more authority (while the wheels and gears are in motion) will result in reliable shifts. These bikes are not known for shifting issues.

Also I wonder if the shifter is adjusted properly for your setup/ boots. Infrequently that seems to be an issue and adjusting the shifter may result in smoother operation. (Adjust Shifter Height)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Do you have big shoes or boots? when I first got my 650 I was having trouble shifting sometimes. Turns out that after you make a shift you need to get your foot completely away from the shifter lever. Try consciously getting your boot completely away from the lever after a shift. especially going down on my strom. I haven't had a bike as touchy in this regard as my strom is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With the bike standing at idle and the clutch disengaged for that length of time the primary shaft has stopped and needs to be turning to engage to dogs, I bet that if you rock the bike back and forth or slip the clutch it'll change okay but it's best to be moving when coming back down the through the gears.

I did observe that your really stamping on the shift lever, I guess Harleys require a significantly more effort to shift.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
You need to ensure the gear leaver is getting back to the zero position before you try for another gear.

If the leaver is not getting back to zero of it's own accord it could be your boot or lubrication of the gear leaver (unusual for a new bike but common on older ones)

Reactions: Motorpsychology

·
Vendor
5,725 Posts
There is a lot of good stuff said above, But one thing is for sure, if there is a problem it is a issue under warranty. Get it documented.

Larger shoe sizes and bigger boots can be a problem and we have a gear shift relocation kit that will help with that, but I would have a mechanic ride it to determine if shifting is normal or in need of fixing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Also I wonder if the shifter is adjusted properly for your setup/ boots. Infrequently that seems to be an issue and adjusting the shifter may result in smoother operation. (Adjust Shifter Height)
The footpeg-to-toe distance is a little short IMHO, and a longer lever would mean bigger gaps (angles) between gears. I adjusted my shift lever downward on the spline shaft one tooth after some experimentation. Made a difference. The shift lever is held onto the spline shaft with a circlip, and they won't stay on if you try to reuse it, trust me! So before you attempt this have a shiny new circlip and spacer ready,

The shifter needs to "relax" between shifts. when you are still keeping pressure, up or down, on the shift lever it will be more difficult to engage the next gear. When engaging first gear from neutral with the engine off, maneuvering/parking in the garage, for example, I roll it forward another foot with the clutch lever out, then it will drop in.

I've got 16,000 mi on my 2017, and I still can hit a false neutral occasionally, but the notchiness has largely gone away.
I also use a full synthetic motor oil, which also makes a difference in shifting; remember, the oil is shared on these.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your bike should do normal up- and downshifts with gentle pressure on the lever, assuming it is in a relaxed position as stated above. It should be able to downshift any number of gears with the clutch in and rolling if done gently. My bike was a little iffy when it was new, and I found the shift lever was just a bit loose on the shift shaft. Tightening it properly made it shift a lot better. Occasionally I have it "stick" in 2nd on the way to 3rd, like it doesn't want to leave 2nd. I think it's because my big foot wasn't completely off the lever before shifting.
As others have said, it will probably get better with use, but I'd agree you should have it documented for warranty purposes. Go nice and easy. Nothing to be gained by kicking it, jerking it, standing on it. I just noticed (again) yesterday how much I like the slick and smooth shifting on my '17 650. Best, DD

·
Administrator
14,068 Posts
All the comments about adjusting the lever, big boots and getting used to it are good things to consider.

As one previous poster mentioned Lubing the linkage may be something you want to do. It shouldn't need it this soon but if the bike was power washed or the linkage never lubed at setup the linkage could be dry. It should only take a few minutes t do and costs almost nothing.

..Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2019 650XT, just rolled past 12k miles. My shifting was a bit different for the first 2k miles. Make sure you are shifting a lot and not just riding highway. At 150 miles Id say finish the breakin and have the dealer look at it if you plan on having do the service anyways. If you are going to do you own service Id say still finish the 600 and then document it at the dealer just incase. Like I said I wouldnt worry, it took mine a few thousand miles to really smooth out, now its fine.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
723 Posts
Give the bike a chance to bed in. A Harley and a Suzuki are like chalk and cheese. You need to adapt to a very different bike that at 150 miles has gears that are getting to know each other. If You still have the problem at 1000 miles then talk to the dealer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 19 does exactly the same thing, but I think it's normal. I tend to preload the shifter when shifting up, or not using the clutch at all if rpms are up, it shifts beautifully. But shifting down quickly it sometimes just doesn't, and sometimes when I'm being gentle heading from 2 to 1, I hit neutral. I have to make sure I'm a bit forceful on the 2-1 shift and it's fine. It has exactly the same characteristics that my BMW had. EDIT: I just watched your video, it's very normal for these motorcycle tranny's to need to be spinning inside before you can shift them. If you let the clutch out a bit then pull it back in it'll shift. Or, move the bike a bit, should get the same result. Either way, it's just something to get familiar with and it's normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts