StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often when shifting gears on my Wee, there is not that satisfying clunk when hitting the shifter, it's relatively silent and as if there is some resistance going into the next gear. What's that a symptom of? Should I adjust the clutch?

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean the linkage from the foot shifter, that looks OK. The chain slings a lot of crud, but the sprocket cover protects the linkage from that.

Once the clutch is pulled in, shifting involves two clicks. The problem is there is sometimes resistance getting the second click. It's intermittent but it seems to happen a lot when going to 4th gear from 3rd or 5th. It just doesn't feel right.

Any ideas?

Another question. What do you do when the clutch cable adjustment is out all the way at the engine end, and you need to adjust it out some more? See photo below.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If you mean the linkage from the foot shifter, that looks OK. The chain slings a lot of crud, but the sprocket cover protects the linkage from that.

Another question. What do you do when the clutch cable adjustment is out all the way at the engine end, and you need to adjust it out some more? See photo below.
Maybe it's your clutch? Being at or nearly at the end of it's adjustability... maybe it's is not disengaging enough for clean gear shifts?

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I figured it out. Clutch adjustment instructions say to turn the adjuster screw til it stops and then back it out 1/4 turn. Last time I adjusted it, I turned until I felt some resistance. I did it again today and this time I just kept on turning until it really stopped (and of course then backed out 1/4 turn and tightened the lock nut). Now the cable adjustment is closer to the middle range, and on a quick test ride shifting feels better. Not quite perfect, but good enough to feel like it's normal again. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
My Oxford grip rotated on the handlebar and caused some crapping shifts by affecting the clutch action. Since then it's been a bit clunky. Probably caused some difficulty in the clutch or shift dogs when the clutch didn't disengage properly?
Not impossible but livable.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I think I figured it out. Clutch adjustment instructions say to turn the adjuster screw til it stops and then back it out 1/4 turn. Last time I adjusted it, I turned until I felt some resistance. I did it again today and this time I just kept on turning until it really stopped
You need to establish that the stopping is caused by the adjuster contacting the push rod. If the resistance is just dirt or a less than perfect thread, you'll stop too early. On the other hand, the adjuster will turn past contact and move the pushrod in if you go past initial contact.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to establish that the stopping is caused by the adjuster contacting the push rod. If the resistance is just dirt or a less than perfect thread, you'll stop too early. On the other hand, the adjuster will turn past contact and move the pushrod in if you go past initial contact.
OK thanks. Can't really see what's going on in there, but I didn't turn it very forcefully. And I guess if it's too far in then the clutch will slip (I tried gassing it in 6th gear and it seems fine).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts