StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...And it's gotten progressively worse. The shaft as well as the shifter arm teeth seem worn. 91k miles.

I tried replacing the bolt that clamps it together with a new one, then cranking it down pretty good, but all that ended up accomplishing was shearing the head off the bolt. So now I need to dremel off the shifter arm and buy a new one.

Lo! The parts fiche shows that the bolt is supposed to screw on from the bottom! That's not the way it was when I bought it. Am I to believe that the reason it refused to tighten down was that the threads are only on the top?

I think I'm going to go with yes.

Live and learn :bom_shy:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
common fix

some people carefully remove one tooth on each side of the gap in the shifter . it allows the shifter to get a better grip on the shiftshaft . if you could use an easy out and get the old bolt removed you could try this with your old shifter .

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Idears

Having limped along with old bikes for years (not recently, thank God) we used to pop the shift lever in a vise with the gap up, crank it down, and run a hacksaw through to widen the gap, giving a little more clamping pressure. Also took a section from an aluminum can (Coors worked fine), put a big screwdriver in the lever gap to increase the clearance, and shoved the aluminum shim between lever and shaft before tightening. Not above drilling out the bolt hole and using a longer (larger) bolt with a locknut on the other end to apply considerably more pressure, especially when the lever threads were stripped out. Ah, brings back the scent of rusting metal and desperation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I felt a twinge of that desparation last night when I went past the point of no return. I'm hoping that the new arm and correct application of the bolt will solve my problem at least for now, but I'm not above shimming the shaft or cutting into the arm if need be. The shaft is worn, but not beyond recognition. The thing just wasn't getting tightened down at all.

I'd try easy-outs, but I have an unnatural fear of them.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
22,248 Posts
Having limped along with old bikes for years (not recently, thank God) we used to pop the shift lever in a vise with the gap up, crank it down, and run a hacksaw through to widen the gap, giving a little more clamping pressure. Also took a section from an aluminum can (Coors worked fine), put a big screwdriver in the lever gap to increase the clearance, and shoved the aluminum shim between lever and shaft before tightening. Not above drilling out the bolt hole and using a longer (larger) bolt with a locknut on the other end to apply considerably more pressure, especially when the lever threads were stripped out. Ah, brings back the scent of rusting metal and desperation.

I ran a die grinder wheel thru the gap a couple times before I actualy had to replace the arm

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts