StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo...

I'm going to be lubing the shifter joints tomorrow... but if that doesn't solve my shifter not popping back to "Neutral" for shifting, I was told it's internal, and the Parts Fiche screams at me its internal. How do I get to it? Googling what looks like what I want does not get me the pictures of the right bike......

Any help would be awesome.

Bike: Vee 2008 500 miles shy of 100K, and I want to get it there and over!

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
Both springs, items #23 and #14, are internal and it would be unusual if the problem was there.
I would be disconnecting the lever to ensure that the Gear Shift Link Arm #25 returns freely. If it does then you need to clean and lube all moving parts back to the lever. If it does not I would remove the link arm to ensure that it is not rubbing against the engine case. Also check that the shaft #17 is not bent.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Unusual, but not impossible.
Ive had to replace but 1 shifter return spring due to breakage in 35+ years. I have replaced others while doing transmission repairs. As long as I was in there, and as inexpensive as the spring is, I didnt want to take a chance on going back in at a later date. Besides..springs dont get stronger with age and use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now to clarify, I don't have to pull the engine out to do this, right? My first bike, any work on the shifter internals and transmission, required to pull the block out, which I don't have the means to do so, is this correct? ANd that behind the clutch is a plate I can open up and see the shifter rods? I was unable to get out to work on the bike, it was a split decision, stay home make some money, or go work on the bike >.>

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I had one go bad on one of my DT175's I was surprised to find the spring was OK but the pin the spring worked off had snapped clean off, there must have been some abuse on that leaver.

Sorry I have never opened the covers of my Stroms but every other bike that I have owned only required removing the clutch cover and the clutch basket to get at the spring. ????

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems it was the external shifter components. As nothing internal looked out of wack.

The joints cleaned and lubbed, shifter works as it should now. Thanms for the assists

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Love good news.

The shifter is often taken for granted but a little lube works wonders, if your gear leaver needs lube your brake leaver will too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts