StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking to replace my 09 DL1000 shifter and linkage with a DR650 shifter. After searching the web it seems that the DR has a couple different shifter models depending on the year of the DR... What year DR shifter should I be looking for?

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Did away with linkage by going with Moose racing lever. Arm is 1" longer than OEM and hinged to do away with cracked case in the event of a spill. Inexpensive swap. :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
ive never seen a dr650 with linkage. from 96 on the dr remained unchanged. i own an 08 dr and my friends own dr's from various years ranging from 97 on. seems to me the lever from a dr might be a bit long.

you should spring for the folding lever from touratech though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

I want to get rid of the linkage on the oem shifter and move the shifter further forward.. I installed the peg plates that move them down and forward and goldwing pegs. this along with my size 14 boots do to leave much room.

I have read where the DR650 shifter is a good fit and is long enough to make it comfortable again. My problem is that the companies that make the folding shifters show 2 different models based on the year of the DR. I just need to know what year will fit my 09 Vee....

Mark

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I just bought a generic DR650 shifter from MC Superstore ( I think maybe it was a Moose??) anyway it works great and gave me about 1" more room for offroad boots.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
678 Posts
You want the Touratech lever. No linkage and longer. Simple swap, love mine.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi,

I want to get rid of the linkage on the oem shifter and move the shifter further forward.. I installed the peg plates that move them down and forward and goldwing pegs. this along with my size 14 boots do to leave much room.

I have read where the DR650 shifter is a good fit and is long enough to make it comfortable again. My problem is that the companies that make the folding shifters show 2 different models based on the year of the DR. I just need to know what year will fit my 09 Vee....

Mark
the only difference between the pre 96 and post is the angle of the lever. the 96-current are bent a little further away from the case. you can use either but may have to manually bend the pre 96 lever. be safe and buy the 96-current

·
Registered
252 Posts
I didn't know there was a difference but I had to shorten and lower mine a bit by cutting it and re-welding it in a different position.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did away with linkage by going with Moose racing lever. Arm is 1" longer than OEM and hinged to do away with cracked case in the event of a spill. Inexpensive swap. :beatnik:
Bumping this because I just bought this shifter and had some trouble. Originally it was too thick at the splines, so after ruining the bolt, I opted to grind the back of it down and use a big drill bit to give it a bit of a chamfer. Now it fits fine but I had to reuse the stock bolt. I think it's the same pitch and whatnot, but I can't confirm as I borked the other one. Did you use the moose hardware or the stock one?

EDIT - Scratch the above question, picked up a replacement bolt tonight and it is indeed the same as the stocker. All good assuming I didn't booger the shifter threads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts