StromTrooper banner

Shifter Lever not returning to neutral position.

1861 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  richlandrick
I have this issue occuring after winter storage. My shift lever needs to be manually reset to the level neutral position after every shift up or down in gear. Could this be a corrosion issue since the bike was stored outside with a tarp all winter? It was shifting fine going into winter storage.

Video attached of issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Try some lube on the pivot points.
  • Love
Reactions: 3
Take it off the bike and clean and lube all the pivot points with grease.
Reactions: 2
Or spray it with chain lube. Not wax-based, but grease based. Th chain lube has a dispersant that will get the grease into the crevices and then evaporate leaving the grease.

In a pitch penetrating oil (e.g. liquid wrench, 3 in 1 oil) followed by grease.
Reactions: 1
Post 2-3. Don’t cheat. Remove and clean pivot, waterproof grease. Done. 15 minutes.
  • Helpful
It's a 99% chance the pivot points are the problem.

Being the 1000 you can get rid of the linkages and fit a normal lever straight to the gearbox spline if you wish.
Rolex....more details please...like from what model fits?

Thanks in advance
Or spray it with chain lube. Not wax-based, but grease based. Th chain lube has a dispersant that will get the grease into the crevices and then evaporate leaving the grease.

In a pitch penetrating oil (e.g. liquid wrench, 3 in 1 oil) followed by grease.
I tried multipurpose lube and it didn’t improve the rigidity sadly.
It's a 99% chance the pivot points are the problem.

Being the 1000 you can get rid of the linkages and fit a normal lever straight to the gearbox spline if you wish.
Great idea! What is even the purpose of the added linkage points haha! Seems like an overly complex design.
Great idea! What is even the purpose of the added linkage points haha! Seems like an overly complex design.
Notice where the shift shaft is in relation to the peg. Quite a bit forward of the peg. The linkage gets the lever within reach.

Attaching a lever directly to the shaft is going to put the tip way out there. Unless you can find/make a short lever.
Notice where the shift shaft is in relation to the peg. Quite a bit forward of the peg. The linkage gets the lever within reach.

Attaching a lever directly to the shaft is going to put the tip way out there. Unless you can find/make a short lever.
Yes! I see that. I’m going to remove and clean first to see if that fixes it.
I’m having a hard time locating a replacement part if necessary does anyone know where to look? To replace the whole shifter lever assembly?
Rocky Mt. ATV is a good source for OEM parts.

You would have to buy the parts separately. Chances are though after yours are cleaned and lubed they will work.
Well, worst case, it could be a bad return spring. Odd that it worked when parked and doesn't work now though.

You could check by eliminating the linkage from the equation. Remove the bolt that holds the arm on the knurled shaft that comes out of the transmission and slide it off. Then "gently" grasp the transmission shaft with some vice grips and change the gears up and down. If the gear shift returns as normal you know it is the linkage. Of course, if you take the linkage off you can probably tell just by working it back and forth with your hand.
I took the lever apparatus off. The U clamp came off of the transmission spline just fine. I noticed the part where the shift lever connects near the pedal, on the little nub, that was hard to wiggle off. I used lube and a rubber mallet and it finally budged. I think that was the friction point.

I will clean, lube, and reinstall and update.
I carb cleaned and greased the shift lever and it seems to be working fine now. I knew I needed to do this but I still wanted to ask you’s guys opinions. So thank you.

This was the pivot point which needed cleaning.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle
See less See more
  • Helpful
Where you have the red circle I have drilled a hole so I can drip some lubricant in each time I lube my chain.
  • Helpful
Where you have the red circle I have drilled a hole so I can drip some lubricant in each time I lube my chain.
Ok! Great suggestion! May do the same. Is this a known friction point on the Vstrom?
That and the brake pedal.

You also need to get some lubricant under the rubber boots on the linkages.
Ok! Great suggestion! May do the same. Is this a known friction point on the Vstrom?
It's not unique to V-Stroms.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts