StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the shifter from tourtech? Does it fit properly? It looks alittle smaller than the OEM..

Comments????

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's made for the Vee with installation including the linkage. It will work on the Wee if installed directly on the shifter shaft without the linkage. The shift pattern will be changed to one up and five down though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Um.........went right on my Vee same as the Wee. No linkage required.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Um.........went right on my Vee same as the Wee. No linkage required.
Sorry. That's right. The difference is the linkage configuration. Both lose the linkage but the Vee stays in the usual direction. The Wee reverses.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not much to take a pic of. Juch remove the stock one and slid the Touratec one over the spindal. Just be sure youve got enough room for your foot cause it a pain to get back off!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
This shifter is on my Wee; it came from a DR650. Same basic design as the Touratech. Installation is very easy...just remove your stock linkage (make an index mark where the stocker fits the shaft spline, if you wish), then install the Touratech. Very, very simple.

If you ride a Wee, the shift pattern is now 1 up and 5 down. If you ride a Vee, there is no change to the shift pattern.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Speaking only for myself...it's strictly ergonomics. The DR650 shifter fits my foot better because it's longer and wider than stock. The shift peg now fits on top of my toe instead of on top of the right side of my instep. Adapting to the reversed shift pattern was an acceptable trade-off for me.

But, that's just me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What exactly was the learning curve? I could see for myself how old ways could kick in during a spirited ride and upshifting into a high-speed sweeper when I meant to downshift and really screwing myself--did you ever experience anything like that? It just seems so unnatural to me to go to a 1-up, 5-down pattern...

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
No, I never really had any major upsets. The first few rides after the change-over, I'd mount the bike, tell myself "Okay, 1 up and 5 down," find some familiar roads and run through the gears with a purpose to reinforce my mental prep and execution. I've switched several times between my cruiser and my Wee since then, and have had no problems at all with shifting either bike in all kinds of Metro DC and Southern Maryland traffic . . . country roads, superslab, surface roads, and city driving. The biggest differences between them have been physical . . . weight, length, height and their associated constraints, but after a couple of minutes on either one, my muscle memory takes over, and life is good.

It kinda goes without saying that I highly prefer the Wee over my cruiser, too. It's a no-brainer . . . the little Wee absolutely pegs out the "smile-o-meter!"

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not much to take a pic of. Juch remove the stock one and slid the Touratec one over the spindal. Just be sure youve got enough room for your foot cause it a pain to get back off!
Your setup is prety much identical to where I'm going with my 1K.

I'm going to give local talent a chance at the sump guard before importing one.

My 1150GS and my 650GSD were rolling advertisments for Touratech. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts