StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ridding my '18 650xa today in the fifth gear, tried to shift in to 6th gear, but the shifter lever was "missing" :oops: , looked down and the lever was just dangling loose. The axle bolt worked itself out, lucky I had a pair of long needle nose pliers, since the regular open wrench doesn't fit.
Will have to buy a skinny 17mm and grind it to about 1/8" thickness, and remember to do the visual every time I go out riding.

Q: "What color Loctite should I use to keep it from falling out?"
Tire Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Asphalt Bicycle part Bumper Motor vehicle

Liquid Fluid Drinkware Gas Water

· Premium Member
3,606 Posts
I'd use red. And doesn't to toolkit have a skinny wrench? I have a collection of Ikea crap tools for nuts like that.

Reactions: Dado8

· Registered
4,487 Posts
Nix the red. Red is high strength and requires heat to remove. Blue medium strength is my choice. That allows you to remove the pivot with standard hand tools.

I reserve high strength for cylinder head bolts and such that go on once and never get removed.

PS - take C-clip pliers and remove the clip from the shifter. Remove shift lever, then a fat wrench will work. Grease pivot while your there, slide lever back on, install clip.

· Premium Member
3,606 Posts
I've never had to use heat to remove red. Use it on pretty much anything that requires loctite because the blue doesn't seem to do anything.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd use red. And doesn't to toolkit have a skinny wrench? I have a collection of Ikea crap tools for nuts like that.
I'll check the to pouch

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nix the red. Red is high strength and requires heat to remove. Blue medium strength is my choice. That allows you to remove the pivot with standard hand tools.

I reserve high strength for cylinder head bolts and such that go on once and never get removed.

PS - take C-clip pliers and remove the clip from the shifter. Remove shift lever, then a fat wrench will work. Grease pivot while your there, slide lever back on, install clip.
I was going to grease the pivot, wonder why Suzuki didn't make the nut wider, not everybody has the C-clip pliers on the bike.

Reactions: STCorndog

· Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Oops we have a tie:
RED - 01 vs BLUE - 01

Time to start the "Loctite thread" :unsure: :)
Careful with the colors; I think different manufacturers use different colors for different strengths. I think what you want is medium strength. In any case, not the kind that requires heat to remove.

That failure is .... really annoying. I couldn't even budge that stud when I tried to recently. Lucky you.

I was going to try Rick's shifter extender, and the difficulty in removing that stud, in concert with my realization that his shifter-extender foot peg bracket had no provision for returning the shifter to its original position (short of removing the whole kit), made me change my mind.

· Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Oh, hey, @Damirio - since you got that unlucky, I'll offer some unsolicited advice: while you're down there, remove the double-threaded rod in the linkage, and add some thread locker to that too. That, I DO know something about, cuz that one had me sitting on the side of a very hot Idaho highway swearing for 45 minutes with needlenose pliers.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, hey, @Damirio - since you got that unlucky, I'll offer some unsolicited advice: while you're down there, remove the double-threaded rod in the linkage, and add some thread locker to that too. That, I DO know something about, cuz that one had me sitting on the side of a very hot Idaho highway swearing for 45 minutes with needlenose pliers.
Hmm which one would that be? And what strength/color Loctite pls
Bicycle part Font Nickel Bicycle drivetrain part Metal

· Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Careful with the colors; I think different manufacturers use different colors for different strengths. I think what you want is medium strength. In any case, not the kind that requires heat to remove.

That failure is .... really annoying. I couldn't even budge that stud when I tried to recently. Lucky you.

I was going to try Rick's shifter extender, and the difficulty in removing that stud, in concert with my realization that his shifter-extender foot peg bracket had no provision for returning the shifter to its original position (short of removing the whole kit), made me change my mind.
Loctite is a brand. Red is the high strength non wicking. The green stuff is near impossible to remove because it flows.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
This has nothing to do with the shifter falling off but it is just too funny not to inject here. I can just hear some Suzuki designer explaining how the shifter mechanism is attached.
Ha ha...the wave hit the ship, highly unusual at the sea ...but they are very strong... :D

After I re attached the lever couldn't strop thinking about what else will get loose next on my "otherwise reliable Suzuki", ...people that ride GS's will have a giggle :cautious:

Reactions: STCorndog

· Registered
4,487 Posts
I was going to grease the pivot, wonder why Suzuki didn't make the nut wider, not everybody has the C-clip pliers on the bike.
That is a good question. My Tenere has a similar shifter set up; however, the pivot has a female hex head. No nut or circlip. Easy to remove for greasing.

· Administrator
Queensland, Australia
11,180 Posts

· Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Hmm which one would that be? And what strength/color Loctite pls
View attachment 306526
Sorry, shouda been more specific. The shifter linkage. The threaded rod that connects your shifter to your transmisson, which, by virtue of its proximity to your other fail, is nearly certain to be infected with the same latent virus, but it will remain dormant until you are in the southern Idaho desert, probably somewhere near the Bermuda Triangle that is Twin Falls. Nothing good has ever happened to me there. Among the many inexplicable and un-sought-after adventures I've had at Twin Falls was experiencing said shifter linkage suddenly letting go halfway across the bridge over the Snake River Canyon. At 98 degrees.

Loctite (medium). Just do it. For me.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, shouda been more specific. The shifter linkage. The threaded rod that connects your shifter to your transmisson, which, by virtue of its proximity to your other fail, is nearly certain to be infected with the same latent virus, but it will remain dormant until you are in the southern Idaho desert, probably somewhere near the Bermuda Triangle that is Twin Falls. Nothing good has ever happened to me there. Among the many inexplicable and un-sought-after adventures I've had at Twin Falls was experiencing said shifter linkage suddenly letting go halfway across the bridge over the Snake River Canyon. At 98 degrees.

Loctite (medium). Just do it. For me.
got it, this little bugger #29 in this diagram (y)
Line Font Auto part Diagram Plumbing fixture

as per @STCorndog I see how the #33 nut/pivot will become accessible once the lever is removed

• Helpful
Reactions: Gert and Brockie
1 - 20 of 31 Posts