StromTrooper banner

Shifter Extension - Anyone use?

5991 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  4critter
Saw these in a search online, just wondering if anyone has tried it? Says it works with 1000 & 650 but the 650 has the wonky linkage. Shifting with the side of my foot actually caused a fracture in my big toe, no good! so its either a cut & weld extension or something like this...

Suzuki V-Strom 1000 & 650 Shift Lever Extender Is your shift le
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
I must say its some what of a pain for me shifting, it does seem that the gear lever is not ideally located for people with bigger feet. I'm a shoe size 13/14

· Premium Member
1,057 Posts
I found the shifter hit the instep of my size 13 boot. The e-bay fixes flipped the linkage so I bought a basic steel replacement and took it to an auto shop.
They welded in a 1 1/2 in piece in the middle. It works well and was less than paying $55 to end up with a part held on with bolts

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well as a quick and easy fix it works. it extends the shifter 1 3/4 inch and out about half an inch. It also pivots on the back bolt so you have greater range in the up/down position of the shifter. They also state that it shortens the shift throw by about 25% and I agree, its quicker, easier, smoother to shift. and I can finally shift with the front of my boot, rather than way off to the side :thumbup:

· Registered
4 Posts
My shifter lever has a little linkage bar on my DL1000, and on the other end the connector piece is splined. When your shifter arm was moved forward 1 3/4" did you simply have to adjust that to a new spline (rotate it), or did the extension kit come w/ a smaller linkage arm? Or maybe the 650 is nothing like the 1000 and Im way off base here. Please help, my size 13 hoofs are needing some room!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.