StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to raise the shifter a little to ease getting my new boots under it. I have searched the manual for instructions but I can't find a damn thing. Can you guys help?
How does the shift lever get adjusted for height?
Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There are some differences between models but the procedure is the same so I'll use this example. Loosen the lock nuts at #34 and #37. Check the threads because one of those nuts has a left hand thread. It turns the opposite direction of a typical nut to loosen. Once loose, turn the adjuster #29 to change the pedal height. Then tighten the nuts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I remember correctly the bottom nut #34 is the left hand thread nut.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I don't know if the dl1k has that mechanism... If not, just move the shifter up or down one spline at the shaft that commes out of thr transmission.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If I remember correctly the bottom nut #34 is the left hand thread nut.
It is on the 650. I don't know about the 1000.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I adjusted mine earlier this summer for my new boots. Just look at the threads and it's easy to see which is the left twist. A little adjustment goes a long way. I initially went a full turn. Then had to back it off by 1/4. I may back it up again by another 1/4 as my boot has broken in. A dab of white-out makes a good reference mark.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
left vs right thread

no need to remember that stuff

just remember this, on the <= 2011 Wee

with 10mm combination wrench on either top or bottom jam nut, and free end of wrench facing front of bike, push wrench toward engine to loosen the nut(s)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I found it very helpful to know one of the jamb nuts on the fine adjustment was a left hand thread. I had the coarse adjustment done easily, but the fine adjustment was the problem until I read this. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I found it very helpful to know one of the jamb nuts on the fine adjustment was a left hand thread. I had the coarse adjustment done easily, but the fine adjustment was the problem until I read this. Thanks guys!
Same goes here. Old but really helpful.

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
...and...a thread that just keeps on being useful. I'm off to the garage with a couple of 10mm wrenches now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great thread. Yes, its the bottom nut that is left hand thread. I put the bike on the center stand and measured with a ruler from the floor to the center of the shift lever. 13.75 inches. I turned the buckle and made it 14 inches. Thats better but there is no free lunch. Now, you have to physically lift your foot off the peg to get that new boot on top of the lever to downshift. The solution would be a longer shift lever made for western feet...a patch might be to remove the rubber from the lever to get a bit more room.

In my humble opinion, there is no need to put German torque (goodintight) on these lock nuts.

Maybe Shouldabeen engineering could come up with an ajustable length lever kit It really wouldnt be that hard to do. Cut off the end, drill two holes, and slide on the new extension with slotted screw holes. Or just have two sets of threaded holes for two different extended lengths. I will do that Just as soon as I design my variable height center stand. ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow, useful thread!

I bought a Forma ADV boots one year ago. and could not get used to the shifting vs my 'touring' boots. Too tall and can barely get the toes under the shifter. And I have been avoiding wearing these new ADV boots cuz I could not shift very well.

With this knowledge, I'm going to make some adjustment to the shifter this evening!

I was kinda wondering as to why I was having issue with shifting an ADV bike (DL650) and ADV boots! I honestly thought this is something I had to live with. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts