StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, i know there are a bunch of post regarding shift lever replacement, but i have not seen a pros / cons list to going to something like a DR650 lever vs a linkage style stock lever. I had the opportunity to participate in a DART training over the weekend and mangled my shift lever to the point that it actually bent the mounting bolt / shaft.

My concern is if i had a similar incident with one mounted directly to the shifter on the transmission what would the outcome of something like that be, is it just a much harder steel used on the input shaft than on that external lever mounting bolt/shaft?

Has anyone had this concern, has anyone bent an input shaft after switching to a direct mount lever?

Last question, i am having a hard time finding after market levers for the OEM linkage style setup, do they not exist any more? Any recommendations of similar bikes that would be compatible?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
The DR levers are softer and like most dirt bike that helps absorb the shock of hitting dirt.

You should be able to get a folding tip lever to again reduce the risk.

As long as it will work with your boots/foot go for it.

Reactions: ChaoticReality

·
Registered
2014 DL1000ADV 2016 DR650SE
61 Posts
Yes, with the DR style there is the possibility of bending or breaking the shift shaft.
It is also very easily replaced if that were to happen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, with the DR style there is the possibility of bending or breaking the shift shaft.
It is also very easily replaced if that were to happen.
The DR levers are softer and like most dirt bike that helps absorb the shock of hitting dirt.

You should be able to get a folding tip lever to again reduce the risk.

As long as it will work with your boots/foot go for it.
Have either of you done this switch? Is it worth it, I have read that it shift much nicer which would be a benefit. Do you know what year DR650 levers work? I have an '05 DL1000

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, i have the Corozol boots from Alpinestar they are a bit thicker on the toe, do you foresee issues with that?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have made the switch, and have big boots. Love it. Will get you a part number soon!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts

Here's what I bought, and what it looks like on the bike! I have the adventuretech peg lowering kit with the shifter relocater option, and simply removed the relocater parts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gert and 24714
1 - 7 of 7 Posts