StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing a shift lever on a friends bike today and that stupid clip got mangled when removing - reattaching.

It seems like this should be a little more flexible... is there a tool to tighten this down better? I'm ordering some new ones but would get a tool if it saves me from having to get more.

Thanks!

BTW, his is 2009, mine is 2012 but the clip looks the same

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The proper tool is circlip pliers, external type specifically for that application.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to be dense, but I can't help myself :)

When you say specific to that application, do you mean there is a model of tool that is specific to this job or that the tool is a general tool that would be specific to the application described?

Not sure if I'm saying that well but hopefully you get my meaning. Just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Thanks Greywolf!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That application is an external circlip rather than an internal circlip.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Finding a replacement metric snap ring can be difficult. I used a twist of wire while I waited for some from McMaster.com. I don't have a nearby dealer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, the parts I ordered from bikebandit and the external circlip tool will be a stop at home depot or harbor freight. The original clip was on, just looked kind of sorry and mushed on :thumbdown:

we are heading out for 5 days off-road and want to make sure we can both shift :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey now, that guy was still shifting!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
A dab of RTV over the circlip will stop it flying off. (Well, the new one, if it's mangled it's just a matter of time).

Pete

·
Registered
702 Posts
There are MANY different designs for circlip pliers. I have several, but the one I use the most is a reversible with a 45 degree bend.
Take your old clip with you to Sears, or what ever store you like & be sure it fits the holes of the clip. :fineprint: There are many different sizes for different sized clips.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh... that might be an issue :headbang:

the guy who was getting the new shifter lever went and grabbed a tool with a couple heads.... I guess we will find out if it works when the new clips get in from bikebandit. Good thing I was (relative to a poo flinging monkey) smart on this one and bought extra clips :biggrinjester:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts