StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check your shift lever bolt!!!

Today whilst down shifting for an off ramp my shift lever fell off. It seems the bolt simply came loose and backed out.

No biggie I was able to get it back on for the remander of my ride. As I rode I watched it turn in and out depending on the vibration it was seeing at the time.

After getting home I removed lever and bolt, cleaned the now somewhat dried grease, regreased and re-installed with fresh (blue) thread locker. fwiw their did'nt seem to be much of any evidence of thread locker on this bolt.

Bike is an 04 wee with about 4,900 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the tip, will check mine. I had a similar experience with the switchblock on the throttle side - both screws came out and were only hanging in there by about half a thread. Luckily I noticed it was loose when I thumbed the starter button. They haven't come loose again. Maybe these things are more of a Pre-delivery issue?

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Is this bolt the one that is easily visible on the actual shift lever that holds the lever to the shaft, or is this bolt behind the circlip and thin metal washer that is recessed over the shaft?

I have heard this issue in a couple of threads and someone said something about having to remove the circlip to tighten the bolt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
same thing happened to me, and as you said... no loctite on the bolt. I went to downshift in to 5th, and the lever was hanging 1/4" off the freeway... I just happened to be next to the dealer exit, pulled off the freeway, made every stoplight, and coasted in with the clutch pulled in... other loose bolts upon delivery: triple clamp and rear axle... get them boys a wrench!

·
Registered
40 Posts
that was just the "loose bolt" segment... also; TPS needed adjustment, fuel injectors replaced, mapping re-done... It ran like crap for 2 days, and they tried to tell me, "Well, it's not going to be as smooth as your VTR" and it would smooth out as it broke in. In their defense, they fixed everything brought to their attention, but jeesh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts