Strom Trooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1st gear shift indicator has always been a bit flakey. When I go from N to 1, it will indicate 2 for a few moments and then switch to 1. This morning the indicator displayed 2 when I was in 1 and stayed that way for a few miles. How does the shift indicator system work and where are the components?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine does the same thing the first start up of the day. After a few shifts it is fine the rest of the day even with multiple start ups.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The sensor assy, gear indicator is a mechanical type switch. It's easy to get to take off the front sprocket cover.

Don't know if this will link right but it's part number 39 on the gear shifting parts diagram here

Take it off and spray some electrical contact cleaner into it, wash it out good. That usually fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The shift linkage is really long and flimsy on the DL so it has a hard time satisfying the gear indicator switch. Not a great shifting bike.

I replaced the OEM pivot with a shoulder bolt and it helped a little, but mine still gets confused too. :frown2:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have replaced the gear switch indicator on my /12 model 3 times in 12,000 miles. Each time, it only solves the problem for a short while. I washed them out with brake cleaner, but that had little effect, and only for a short while. The last time I washed it out, I used carb cleaner - this helped immensely, and it lasted all summer - but it is just now starting to act up again. To me, the malfunctioning seems to have something to do with oil levels, oil type, oil weight, and oil contamination. The unit usually acts up when cold, and starts to behave better once things are thoroughly warmed up. Unfortunately, most of my commutes are short.
No long term solution has been found.
I even took one completely apart. It was unusable afterward, but I do know what is inside. There is nothing in there that you would not expect - a few contacts, and a spring loaded wiper. It is just susceptible to contamination and wear.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Interesting that 1st gear indication is a necessity. The 1st generation bikes don't have that feature and sometimes I forget to shift into 6th for some period of time.
Apparently there are add on items that are plug and play for the older generation bikes. It might be a novelty to watch it fail and then wonder what gear I'm in.
Only time it really matters to me is when I make a quick stop coming up through a row of cars and try to start up in 4th or 5th when the light turns green. So embarrassing!

·
Registered
200 Posts
FYI - If your gear indicator remains blank for a few minutes while you are riding, this will result in the red FI light coming on, until the ignition is shut off, and turned on again. As far as I can tell, when this happens, this results in no engine performance issues. The bike seems to run fine with the red FI light on - until I can get somewhere to safely shut the bike off, and re-start it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts